Letter: Grand Lake trustee calls municipal fee a ‘huge game changer’
A few snippets missing from Manager Jim White’s interview and Mayor Jim Peterson’s letter.
It is a huge game changer!
Here are some bullet points:
1. Municipal fee strips citizens of all spending limitations on how much money the town can spend. Circumvents TABOR. (Taxpayer bill of rights.) TABOR certainly not perfect, but has prevented us from being a California, Illinois, or New Jersey. They are broke.
2. Municipal fee sets a precedence for future increases. How much will it be next year? What will future boards do?
3. Why does the fee only apply to residential dwelling unit, commercial facility, non profits? What about vacant land? Don’t they have a need for police, street lighting? So, did we create a policy/fee that has been tailored not by what is fair, but rather by an existing billing system (water bill) that only recognizes properties with water utility services?
4. Could the town add to the list of services shared? How about public works
5. Initiate this fee after historical 2017 sales tax revenue.
6. How much funds are available in the Grand Lake Town coffers?
7. How is it that the Mayor can send us taxpayers a letter stating the implementation of the new municipal fee, but can not send a letter stating that the town is considering the fee and have a public hearing in advance, say September when many people are still hear?
8. Just because the town can legally set a large fee in place such as this, and avoid a vote/should you? Morally, ethics, transparency, etc.?
9. Are the funds for “bolstering/fortify the General Fund” or a general fund deficient of approximately $79,650 (page 94 in the Nov. 27 board packet) or to help cover shortages at the Grand Lake Event Center. Which is it?
I was elected to represent the people of Grand Lake and not a Regime of Dictators to circumvent the taxpayers by means of keeping them in the dark and not reaching out to them by what ever means possible.
How dare these people circumvent you!
As I stated this is a huge game changer on how Grand Lake collects revenues.
Freedom, Liberty and Representative Government has left the building in Grand Lake! Tell the board to amend the budget now!
There are a lot of items which could be cut.
Tom Goodfellow, Grand Lake Trustee
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grand County make the Sky-Hi News' work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User