Local women to perform ‘The Vagina Monologues,’ shedding light on womanhood, domestic violence
What: The Vagina Monologues
Why: A play based on interviews done with women, mostly centered around the question what would your vagina say if it could talk? The play explores both tragic and comic aspects of womanhood and includes swearing, mentions of rape and assault and descriptions of misogyny
When: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 14, 2019 and 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 15, 2019
How much: $10 per ticket
Tickets: Available at Winter Park Wellness Center, Coffee & Tea Market at Winter Park Resort and online (see below)
Where: Silver Screen Theater, 78415 Highway 40 in Winter Park; located inside the Park Plaza shopping center, next to Ullr’s Tavern
More info: grandvday.wordpress.com
WINTER PARK — It’s time to talk about vaginas.
A special Valentine’s Day production of the renowned, intimate and unflinching play, “The Vagina Monologues,” is coming to Winter Park this week.
The 90-minute activist play, written by Eve Ensler in 1989, is based on interviews done with women, mostly centered around the question, “What would your vagina say if it could talk?” The play explores both tragic and comic aspects of womanhood and includes swearing, mentions of rape and assault and descriptions of misogyny.
“I think that this message is relevant in any community in this nation and around the world and it’s going to be relevant until we have equal pay and equality across the board,” said Anastasia Cesnik, event organizer. “It really amplifies the female strength as a community here in Winter Park.”
The play will be performed at Silver Screen Theater in Winter Park on Feb. 14 and 15. Tickets are $10 with proceeds split between two charities, 90 percent going to Grand Advocates, a local nonprofit that helps victims of domestic violence. The other 10 percent will go to the V-Day organization, which was founded by Ensler in conjunction with the play, which is spotlighting women in prison, detention centers and formerly incarcerated women.
Cesnik, a Winter Park resident, said her goal with the production is to raise awareness about domestic violence within the community, as well as shine a light on the important work that Grand Advocates is doing.
“My hope is to raise awareness that (domestic violence) does happen in Winter Park and that it doesn’t just happen to women,” she said. “I wish that when I was younger, in my early 20s and in those bad places, that I had been more aware of the resources that communities have like this. We just want to advocate for the advocates because not a lot of people know about them.”
Performing “The Vagina Monologues” is a cast of 14 local women, since the V-Day organization has guidelines about when and who can perform the play. Though, Cesnik emphasized that while the play centers women, it is not about denigrating men.
“The person who’s running the front of the house is a guy, the person running the sound is a guy, the person running the lighting is a guy, the guy who donated the space is a guy,” she exclaimed. “We can’t be the strong women we are without the strong men in our community who support us. It’s a two-way street and, when we work together, then we’re the best we can possibly be.”
She also said that she and the cast were really grateful for the support they’ve received from the community despite some of the negative reactions, including people ripping down the posters advertising the show.
“The support was overwhelming, which was great,” Cesnik said. “I think people were just really wanting to dive into something like this.”
Thursday night’s show will include a cocktail hour and silent auction with items donated from businesses around the community at Ullr’s Tavern at 6 p.m. The proceeds from the auction will also go to Grand Advocates. Then the play will start at 7:30 p.m. at the Silver Screen Theater, located next to Ullr’s and under Wake N Bacon in the Park Plaza shopping center.
Friday’s show will start at 8 p.m. following a cocktail hour at Opa! Charlie’s Gyros with live music from Andy Straus and The Real McCoy.
Tickets are for sale online, as well as at the Winter Park Wellness Center and the Coffee and Tea Market at Winter Park Resort.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grand County make the Sky-Hi News' work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User