Man enters guilty plea after choking woman in hotel parking lot

Yexon Benavides-Casco
Grand County Sheriff’s Office/Courtesy photo

A Grand County man was arrested for physically assaulting a woman after she rejected his romantic advances May 7.

Yexon Benavides-Casco, 27, was placed under arrest for 2nd degree assault. He was arrested outside of his home around midnight, according to the affidavit.

When Deputy Wagner appeared in the hotel parking lot, two adults and two children greeted him. The victim spoke with police at 11:06 p.m. and told them that Benavides-Casco had choked and grabbed her arm, injuring her. By this time, he had already left the scene.  

She also told police that Benavides-Casco had a history of following and harassing her. She said that Benavides-Casco had followed her to the hotel and asked her to be in a romantic relationship with her. According to the victim, after she refused he then grabbed her by the neck and arm, which left scratch marks on her arm.

One witness said that he saw Benavides-Casco grab the victim’s neck before running away.

The victim told police that she was at The Inn at Silvercreek to visit her daughter who had just had a baby.

A family member of the victim showed up to the hotel after the incident and told police that Benavides-Casco had been harassing the victim for the past week or two. Although, this was the first-time things had turned physical between the two.

The deputy took photos of the injuries sustained by the victim. She was offered emergency medical care but declined. She’s expected to recover from her injuries.

While one officer was at the scene of the incident, another officer visited the suspect’s place of residence for questioning. The arresting officer appeared at the Benavides-Casco’s home around midnight.

Benavides-Casco spoke to police and said that he was trying to help the victim with a car problem at The Inn at Silvercreek. The deputy said that he observed no injuries to Benavides-Casco.

The arresting officer then asked the suspect how the victim had been injured. Benavides Benavides-Casco didn’t answer.

After spending about 14 minutes with the suspect, Benavides-Casco was arrested and charged him with 2nd degree assault for causing bodily injury to the victim.

Five months after the altercation, the trial was held at the Grand County District Court on August 15. 

Benavides-Casco pleaded guilty to harassment and was sentenced to one year of probation as well as 24 hours of community service. He was also ordered to complete an anger management evaluation as part of the sentence.

More Like This, Tap A Topic

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.

Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.

If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.