Missing man found dead northeast of Fraser | SkyHiNews.com

Missing man found dead northeast of Fraser

Courtesy photoIan Terry Moran, a Pennsylvania man reported missing in late March, was found dead on Sunday near the Denver Water Board Road. Determination of the cause of death is pending.

A Pennsylvania man with a history of mental illness who had been reported missing in the Fraser area in late March was found dead on Sunday, April 11, east of the town.

Members of the Fraser/Winter Park Police Department, Grand County Sheriff’s Office, and the Grand County Coroner’s Office responded Sunday afternoon to County Road 81, approximately two miles north of County Road 8 on a report of a body that was found under a tree there.

Upon arrival, officers spoke to a group of snowmobilers who reported that they had discovered the body while snowmobiling along the Denver Water Board Road. After a preliminary investigation, it was determined that the body was that of Ian Moran, age 35, who had been reported missing in Winter Park on March 31.

It appeared that Moran’s body had been at that location for several days, according to police.

Moran was reported as missing and possibly suicidal by his mother in Pennsylvania on March 28. He had reportedly left Pennsylvania en-route to San Francisco via Amtrak and had gotten off the train in Fraser, after spending some time in Chicago. At that time, his cell phone showed his location to be in the area of County Road 8 and County Road 809 east of Fraser.

After searching for several hours, personnel from the Fraser/Winter Park Police Department and Grand County Sheriff’s Office located Moran in the Rendezvous subdivision in Fraser. Although he informed officers that he was not suicidal and only out for a hike, he was transported to the Granby Medical Clinic for an evaluation, police said.

Moran was cleared medically and given a ride back to Fraser by a deputy. He paid for two nights lodging, but left after only one night, taking his clothing with him and leaving his medication behind.

Moran’s mother traveled to Fraser where she met with officers, informing them that Moran was potentially delusional and schizophrenic. A flier with Moran’s photo and personal information was also produced and distributed to local businesses as well as the media.

Over the next several days, personnel from the Fraser/Winter Park Police Department, Granby Police Department and the Sheriff’s Office as well as the U.S. Forest Service and several private citizens spent considerable time looking for Moran in the area and especially along the Denver Water Board Road. These searches met with negative results.

However, officers did speak to two citizens who reported seeing Moran on the Denver Water Board Road on March 30 and 31t. Both individuals said they spoke to Moran and he told them he was just out for a hike.

An autopsy was planned for Tuesday.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.

Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.

If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User