James J. Murphy, 1929-2018
November 20, 2018
Winter Park resident James J. (Jim) Murphy passed away on Oct. 21, 2018. He was born Aug. 29, 1929 in Chicago and spent his working life as a Chemist in Chicago. Jim retired to Winter Park in 1989. He lost his sight in 2012 but remained living in Winter Park supported by caring healthcare professionals, close friends, neighbors and the Veterans Administration.
Jim was an avid sports fan. He followed his teams: the Chicago Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, and Cubs closely and was thrilled that the Cubs won their first World Series in over 100 years. He was also an avid skier and golfer. He golfed at many famous golf courses and remembered every golf hole he played and could go into detail about each.
In Grand County Jim was a fixture at Pole Creek Golf Course and later worked and played at Grand Elk Golf Club. However, his only hole-in-one in over 65 years golfing was at the 17th hole at Granby Ranch.
A celebration of life and spreading of his ashes will be held at a future date.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Winter Park Resort named best ski resort in North America
- CORRECTED: Plans delayed for Pearl Dragon to move downtown
- Does cannabis cost or pay? Study claims marijuana costs $4.50 for every $1 it generates
- Mountain Parks Electric raising rates in the new year
- Taco therapy: Tabernash food stand ‘spreadin’ the love’ — one taco at a time