Obituary: Dr. Frederick William Heiss
February 3, 2015
Dr. Frederick William Heiss, "Bill", passed away peacefully with family on Dec. 30, 2014. Bill was a longtime resident of Granby, who was very active in Ski Meisters, pickle ball, and the Grand Lake Gentleman's Club. He served in the Naval Air Corps and went on to become a distinguished professor, teaching in the graduate school of public affairs at the University of Colorado at Boulder and Virginia Commonwealth University. He was asked to be a member of "Who's Who in the World" for his accomplishments.
Bill loved the mountain communities of Granby, Grand Lake, and Estes Park and loved sharing them with friends and family. Frequently he could be found boating the three lakes, hiking, hunting, or fishing.
He is survived by his two ex-wives Pat Getto and Carol Heiss, four children Bill, Scott, and Brac Heiss, and Kerry Sexton and six grandchildren. There will be a celebration of life and his ashes will be spread in Granby in the springtime. Another announcement will be made beforehand with the date, time, and place. In lieu of flowers donations should be made to the Denver Firefighters Burn Foundation, 303-297-2989.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Police search and seize black market marijuana operation in Granby
- Prior child sexual assault conviction becomes issue for Kremmling trustee candidate
- Winter Park Resort wakes up to a foot of fresh powder, but still seriously behind 10-year average
- Students walk out at Middle Park High School in support of Parkland shooting victims
- Alterra plans $555 million in capital investments over next five years, including at Winter Park Resort