Officials: Grand Lake house fire may have been caused by smoking | SkyHiNews.com

Officials: Grand Lake house fire may have been caused by smoking

Smoke billows from a home off County Road 443 between Granby and Grand Lake on Friday, May 18.
COURTESY / JOHN WILLIAMS PHOTOGRAPHY

Officials from the Grand Lake Fire Protection District said Wednesday that they believe a cigarette and an oxygen concentrator machine may be responsible for a residential fire that sent a woman to the hospital late last week with severe burns.

Units from Grand Lake Fire, along with Grand Fire, Grand County EMS and the Sheriff’s Department responded to the residential blaze on County Road 443 between Granby and Grand Lake at around 5:30 p.m. Friday. A woman was injured during the fire, and was transported to the UCHealth Burn Center in Denver with second- and third-degree burns over 40 percent of her body, according to Grand Lake Fire Chief Mike Long.

The woman’s current condition is unknown. No other people were in the house, though a dog was killed during the fire, according to Long.

After a preliminary investigation launched by Grand Lake Fire, officials believe that the fire was the result of smoking combined with an oxygen concentrator machine, a portable medical device used to deliver oxygen via a nasal cannula. The machine may have ignited a piece of furniture nearby, and grown out of control, Long indicated.

“There’s a public education piece to this story,” said Long. “People need to be really careful smoking inside their houses. Smoking while you’re lying down in bed or on the couch and can fall asleep is a really risky activity. And oxygen is an accelerant, so you need to be even more careful around oxygen machines when smoking.”

It took a dozen firefighters about two-and-a-half hours to contain the blaze, and they stuck around until about 1 a.m. Saturday to monitor for hot spots. The entire inside of the house was destroyed, though the outside sustained only smoke damage above the windows.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.