Dear Mountain, advice
March 15, 2016
I have lived in the Fraser Valley for three years. I love it! I have a great job in my field and am very "outdoorsy" skiing, camping, hiking, biking. The only thing missing is the love of a good man. Where can I go to meet a mountain man up here?
Lonely as the Hills
This is not a local problem. The saying in NYC goes you're always looking for a job, a romance, or an apartment. There are lots of guys up here, but unfortunately lots of them are too young, too irresponsible, or too inebriated for what you are trying to accomplish, which I assume is a monogamous relationship leading to marriage and a future together.
Church is a good place to meet people if you are comfortable in that environment. Business mixers, charity events, and getting involved with your community through volunteering for a cause you are passionate about is another way to meet like minded folks. More people are using dating aps these days, too, but I can't attest to their effectiveness personally.
My best recommendation is to ski at Winter Park and Mary Jane more, and go ALONE. Don't tune out on your ipod or play with your phone. Get comfortable talking to people on the chairlift, and take runs with them either at your invitation or theirs. It is a true common ground without the alcohol and noise you find at the bars. It is a great way to make new friends in and out of county. Those friends likely know or are related to men that are looking for a lady that has her act together, knows what she likes, and knows how to make herself happy. I have met many cool people this way. It is my go to method to drum up business when things are slow, and I still meet men this way all the time although I am now taken.
And while you're waiting, remember, sometimes enjoying your own company in peace is preferable to drama and uncertainty in a relationship, or the anguish of a break up or divorce. You sound like a lady who knows how to get what she wants, and has probably gotten everything she ever wanted her whole life. If this is what you really want, I promise, you will get this, too.
This is the Sky-Hi News' new advice column to appear on Wednesdays. Please send your problems to be solved by Dear Mountain to Dearmountain@skyhidailynews.com.
Trending In: Opinion
- Muftic: ‘Disgusted’: Donald Trump has lowered the bar for future presidential candidates
- Hamilton: Today’s America and Plato’s Allegory of the Cave
- Central View: USA: Banana or representative republic?
- Dalrymple : Why do appraisals take so long?
- Hamilton: President Trump and the hegelian dialectic (column)
- Suspected pipe bombs found during traffic stop near Grand Lake
- Riverside Spirits to relocate to downtown Winter Park leaving resort with fewer off-sale liquor options
- New visitor’s center, artisan retail store to occupy former Granby Mini Mart
- (CORRECTED) Registered sex offender running for office in Kremmling
- POLICE: Recent debit card fraud in Fraser Valley originated locally