Letter: Confusing socialism
August 8, 2018
Bill Hamilton, like many people, confuse socialism/communism with the type of social democracy we see in Europe and was laid out by FDR in his Second Bill of Rights 1941. Google it. These economic policies created the longest period of economic growth in modern times. It rebuilt Europe and the United States after WWII and even today these western democracies are still thriving except those like us who abandoned its principles in favor of Reaganomics.
The basic principles are a democracy of the people, regulated capitalism with a social safety net paid for by graduated taxation. Those countries that followed these principles thrived. Those that did not became third world.
But don't believe me educate yourself Google, research, fact-check, better yet if you can visit these countries they are beautiful and have great food. A democracy needs well informed people to make the best choices.
Don't be fooled.
Denice Everham, Tabernash
Trending In: Opinion
- Winter Park moves forward with new transit center next to Cooper Creek
- Grand County police blotter, Oct. 12-14: Having ‘a bad trip’; Testing police response time
- Grand County real estate transactions, from Oct. 7-13
- Moose population, nearly zero before 1980, grows exponentially, challenging RMNP officials
- Granby looks to improve pedestrian safety with new streetscape project