The three food groups, Kremmling barbecue style: meat, meat and meat
May 21, 2009
I hate to give away a secret, even if it is probably only a pretend secret. I have found that if I were lost on that proverbial island with a charcoal grill and an endless supply of meat, I could live off the Denver Cut and Flat Iron steaks the Kremmling Mercantile has been putting out. They are both inexpensive cuts that are packed with flavor. They actually make a nice menu choice in restaurants but many chefs don’t want to mess with them as they are easy to dry out, so don’t overcook them. Having both cuts on my island would give me just the variety my diet would need.
The other little treasure I have found back in the meat market is the beef bones tagged and bagged for pets only. These are bones that have been exposed so don’t cheat and try to make soup with them. I have a dog that has destroyed every expensive “indestructible” chew toy we have wasted money on. He is obsessed with removing that little squeaky mechanism that is supposed to make the toy fun. Once the removal of the squeak is complete he has no further use for the now expensive pile of trash. Yet for pennies I can give him an afternoon outdoors with a bag of bones that will entertain him for hours.
The West Grand High School seniors will be holding their graduation on Saturday, May 23. Check with the school for details. The West Grand Middle and Elementary School had six days left in the classroom for their school year as of the beginning of this week. Summer boredom should set in on the seventh day.
The Grand County Gymnastics meet will be at West Grand High School on Saturday, May 30. The meet is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. and admission is only $1.
The Kremmling Library will be showing the film “Tale of Despereaux” at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, May 26. Popcorn will be provided and you are welcome to bring your own drinks.
The next Kremmling Chamber After Hours Mixer will be held at the Parshall Inn on May 27. You can go to the Chamber’s newly updated web site for details. The Web site has a great new look so take some time the surf around it.
Don’t forget that Kremmling Days will be happening before you know it. June 19-21 is the scheduled weekend. So it doesn’t matter if you are indoors or outside, there should be something for everyone as we are just getting started for the summer.
” Please continue to send items of local interest to Larry Ebersole at Amentalengineer@cs.com or P.O. Box 564, Kremmling,CO 80459.
Trending In: Opinion
- Hamilton: Today’s America and Plato’s Allegory of the Cave
- Muftic: ‘Disgusted’: Donald Trump has lowered the bar for future presidential candidates
- Central View: USA: Banana or representative republic?
- Dalrymple : Why do appraisals take so long?
- Hamilton: President Trump and the hegelian dialectic (column)
- Suspected pipe bombs found during traffic stop near Grand Lake
- New visitor’s center, artisan retail store to occupy former Granby Mini Mart
- Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band to headline this year’s Blues From the Top Festival as lineup is announced
- Board approves Fraser River plan, detailing $6.5M in improvements
- Kremmling chamber director resigns from position