Paint fumes explode, burning two men in Kremmling house | SkyHiNews.com

Paint fumes explode, burning two men in Kremmling house

Tonya Bina
Sky-Hi News
Grand County, CO Colorado
Byron Hetzler/Sky-Hi News
Byron Hetzler/Sky-Hi News | Sky-Hi News

KREMMLING – Firefighters responded Tuesday afternoon to an explosion at a home on Eighth Street in Kremmling, suspected to have been caused by flammable fumes from Kilz paint primer.

Two young men suffered burns from the explosion and were transported by ambulance to Kremmling Memorial Hospital. They were expected to be flown to St. Anthony Hospital in Denver, according to Grand County EMS spokesperson Nowell Curran.

The fire in the home was extinguished less than an hour after the explosion, according to firefighters on scene.

Two contractors were working on projects at the home, which belonged to an elderly woman who moved away a couple weeks ago, according to neighbor Lori Ellis, who witnessed the two workers sprinting out of the home after the explosion, which she described as sounding like “a loud thud with a lot of (broken) glass.”

The sound was “alarming” enough for Ellis to walk outside where she witnessed dust coming from windows. The two workers, one with “badly burned” hands and the other who also appeared to be burned, Ellis said, were taking shirts off to immediately douse their bodies with a hose at the next-door neighbor’s house.

One of the workers yelled, “The gas must have been on,” she said.

The Consumer Products Information Database online provides a danger warning in the use of Kilz oil-base product, saying rags, steel wool and waste soaked with the product can “spontaneously combust.”


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.