Raid on Fraser marijuana-growing operation nets two arrests, 102 plants |

Raid on Fraser marijuana-growing operation nets two arrests, 102 plants

Courtesy photoPolice raided a house in Fraser where they say marijuana plants were being grown in two rooms, with the heat from the rooms being vented into a 1-year-old's bedroom.

The Grand County Drug Task Force ended a marijuana cultivation operation after serving a search warrant on a Fraser address last week.

On Oct. 20, members of the Task Force, including officers from the Fraser/Winter Park Police Department, Granby Police Department, and deputies from the Grand County Sheriff’s Office, served a series of search warrants at an address on Mill Avenue in Fraser.

Upon gaining entry into the home, officers found that the adult residents were gone but then found a 1-year-old child in the home alone, according to a police statement. The child was taken into protective custody and turned over to the Grand County Department of Social Services.

While conducting a search of the residence it was found that two different rooms had been converted into indoor marijuana cultivation areas with lights and hydroponic systems, according to police, who also said the hot air from the grow-rooms was being ventilated into the baby’s bedroom.

A total of 102 marijuana plants in various stages of growth were seized from the residence. Also seized was approximately 2 pounds of dried marijuana, some of which had been packaged for sale, police said.

They also said a “significant amount” of marijuana was being stored within the baby’s bedroom.

The suspects were found and arrested at a Winter Park bar. Aaron Gibas, 24, of Fraser, and the child’s mother, Tiffany Marck, 21, of Wichita, Kan., both were charged with possession of more than 8 ounces of marijuana, possession with intent to distribute marijuana, cultivation of marijuana, conspiracy, and other charges. They are being held in the Grand County Jail on $35,000 and $20,000 bonds, respectively.

Neither Gibas nor Marck were in possession of medical marijuana registration cards, according to police.

Gibas was also charged with menacing and harassment in a separate incident, according to county documents.

The investigation is ongoing and further details may be released as more is learned.