I-70 closed between Herman Gulch and Silverthorne due to avalanche reduction work
March 5, 2019
UPDATE at 9:53 a.m.: As the Colorado Department of Transportation works to clear snow off the road along I-70, the department has also closed US 6 at Loveland Pass due to avalanche control work.
The Colorado Department of Transportation has closed I-70 in both directions between Herman Gulch and Silverthorne for avalanche reduction work.
CDOT crews conducted avalanche mitigation this morning, which resulted in snow coming across all travel lanes. Crews are working to remove the snow pack at this time. CDOT estimates the closure may take up to four hours.
The closure comes after two avalanches struck Sunday along Interstate 70 in Summit County's Ten Mile Canyon. Multiple travelers captured videos of Sunday's slides and posted them to social media.
Trending In: Regional
- BREAKING: Grand Lake home explosion overnight kills 1, another in serious condition
- Weather service forecasting more snow for Grand County
- Chasing the wind: The remarkable life and astounding adventures of freestyle skiing icon Bob Singley
- Kremmling man pleads guilty to 2018 car burglary spree across Grand County
- Fraser moving forward on Lions Ponds improvements