Sandra Glantz: Security for the for sale by owner
Century 21 Winter Park Real Estate
It’s easy, and important
1. For your safety, never set an appointment with anyone to see your home unless they have given you their name and number and you have called back to verify that number. An easy way to do this is to say, “let me check with my husband for the best time and I will call you back.” Even if you are not married.
2. Never let the potential buyers know your schedule. Such as when you are not home, when your husband is not home, when you pick up the kids, when you work, when you will be on vacation, etc.
3. Only give information to the caller about the house. Never give information such as we don’t have a security system, dead bolts, etc.
4. Always have a back up plan when you allow strangers into your house especially if you have children. Have a neighbor look out for you until the strangers have gone.
5. Never let a stranger into your house without identification. If the person states that they are a real estate agent, ask for a card and then call his or her office for verification if you don’t recognize them.
6. Keep a list of all people who have looked at your house including the name, phone numbers, addresses, descriptions of the cars, tag numbers and any additional information which could be helpful in the event of a future burglary. All these people would be suspects.
7. If you have a home flyer information box do not put information on the flyer which would breech security.
8. Place all valuable items out of sight. Guns, jewelry, silverware, and collections. Anything of value needs to be hidden.
9. Never leave the stranger alone and watch everything they do while in your house.
10. One of the latest scams, according to The Real Estate Today magazine is as follows: A nice looking clean cut couple makes an appointment to view your house. When they get inside one of the parties asks to use the bathroom. While in the bathroom they are searching for prescription drugs. There is a huge market for these drugs. Make sure you hide any prescription drugs in a place not obvious to the stranger.
If all of these issues are more than you want to tackle on your own you should hire a professional real estate agent to market your home. We will qualify and screen the potential purchasers prior to their ever entering your property. Call Sandra at 970-531-0881 for more information.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.