Sky-Hi News wins 28 awards, including Best of Show, Editorial Sweepstakes at Colorado Press awards
Reporters, editors and publishers from throughout Colorado converged on Aurora over the weekend for the 141st annual Colorado Press Association’s convention and press awards ceremony.
Sky-Hi News had a strong showing during the press awards banquet, covering work done in 2018, bringing home 28 separate awards including the distinguished Best of Show award for the paper’s advertising department. Each year the Colorado Press Association selects winners in a variety of categories. Newspapers from throughout the state compete against each other based upon their respective circulation class.
However, each year the Colorado Press Association selects three newspapers to receive Best of Show awards for advertising, editorial content, and photography and design. The Best of Show category does not distinguish between newspapers of varying sizes with twice-weekly papers, such as Sky-Hi News, competing directly against large daily papers like the Denver Post.
“I am so honored and humbled to have won this award,” said Emma Trainor, Sky-Hi News publisher. “To be judged among the best newspapers in Colorado, no matter their size, and come away with this award is inspiring. I have the best staff I could ask for and these awards prove that.”
Sky-Hi News also received the 2018 Editorial Sweepstakes award for its circulation class for its outstanding editorial content in 2018.
“I am beyond humbled and proud of my team,” said Bryce Martin, Sky-Hi News editor. “We’ve done such good and hard work over the last year and our commitment to delivering the best journalism possible to our audience has never been stronger.”
In total Sky-Hi News received 28 awards including the Best of Show and Sweepstakes award. Overall the paper received 13 first place awards and 13 second place awards. Of the total awards received by the Sky-Hi News staff, the paper received seven advertising awards, 11 editorial awards and nine for photography and design work.
- Best In Show: Advertising
- 2018 Editorial Sweepstakes – Class IV
First Place Awards
- Best Real Estate Ad: Nate Lee for Remax Peak to Peak – Nate Lee
- Best Health Care Ad: Nate Lee for Granby Dental – 10 Year Anniversary
- Best Newspaper/House Ad Promotion: Sky-Hi News Staff, CMNM Magazines for Digital Solutions
- Best Editorial Special Section – Glossy or Magazine: Sky-Hi Staff for Explore Grand Winter
- Best Editorial Special Section – Newsprint: Sky-Hi News Staff for Best of Grand 2018
- Best Informational Graphic: Bryce Martin for On the Mountain
- Best Feature Page Design: Bryce Martin for Dec. 22 front page: How it all began
- Best Sports Story: Sawyer D’Argonne for Once in a lifetime
- Best Breaking News/Deadline Reporting: Lance Maggart, Bryce Martin for Silver Creek Fire roars
- Best Feature Story: Lance Maggart for Yoshi’s tale
- Best Breaking News Video: Bryce Martin for Golf Course Fire
- Best Environmental Story: Lance Maggart for High water temps
- Best Story/Picture Combination: Lance Maggart for Weathering a crisis
Second Place Awards
- Best Classified Page(s) or Section(s): Sky-Hi News Staff
- Best Advertising Special Section: Sky-Hi News Staff for Explore Grand – Summer 2018
- Best Newspaper/House Ad Promotion: Sky-Hi News Staff, CMNM Magazines for Rocky Mountain Gold Card
- Best Small Space Ad: Nate Lee for Barba de Sapientia – Soft Opening
- Best Editorial Special Section – Glossy or Magazine: Sky-Hi News Staff for Explore Grand Summer
- Best Headline Writing: Bryce Martin for Quitting smoking leads to massive headache for local smoke shop owner
- Best Photography Portfolio: Tyler Tomasello
- Best Cover Design: Sky-Hi News Staff for Explore Grand Winter
- Best News page design: Bryce Martin for Jan. 12, front cover – Weathering a crisis
- Best sustained coverage: McKenna Harford, Lance Maggart, Bryce Martin for Silver Sage Fire ravages Grand County
- Best Breaking News/Deadline Reporting: Sawyer D’Argonne for Search continues for man on the run
- Best Investigative Story Package: McKenna Harford for Dispensary believes 2 ballot measures are misleading voters
- Best Sports Event Story: Sawyer D’Argonne for Seeman takes 10th at Moscow World cup as Olympics near
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.