Barnelopet kids race set for Feb. 28
February 17, 2015
The Sons of Norway of Grand County and other Colorado Lodges will host Barnelopet, a Kid's Ski Race on Saturday, Feb. 28, at the YMCA of the Rockies.
Kids up to 16 years old are invited to this non-competitive ski event modeled after similar ski events in Norway. Kids may sign up for 1K, 2.5K, or 5K. All skiers finish as winners in this free event open to boys and girls of all skill levels.
Parents, grandparents and other spectators can line up at the finish banner to cheer the skiers on with cowbells and flags, and all skiers receive a beautiful gold medal. Registration begins at 9 a.m., WALK-INS WELCOME, with free ski lessons from 10-11:15 a.m. with the actual Barnelopet Race beginning at 11:30 a.m. Cross Country ski rentals are available through Snow Mountain Ranch Nordic Center at 970-887-2152 or 303-443-4743.
After the race, skiers and their families are invited to a Barnelopet reception as the host lodges will serve soup, chili, hot chocolate and other treats at no charge.
To register in advance for Barnelopet, contact Lois Hodne at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-795-6695.
Ski Orienteering jointly sponsored by Sons of Norway and Rocky Mountain Orienteering will be held from 12:30-2 p.m. Adults can participate with children or they can go on their own for a scavenger hunt on skis with a map. Contact Craig Murray at email@example.com for further information.
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Suspected pipe bombs found during traffic stop near Grand Lake
- Riverside Spirits to relocate to downtown Winter Park leaving resort with fewer off-sale liquor options
- POLICE: Recent debit card fraud in Fraser Valley originated locally
- (CORRECTED) Registered sex offender running for office in Kremmling
- Grand County athletes return home as Paralympic Games conclude; part-time local resident captures gold in men’s slalom