Garrett leads in fourth straight MPHS wrestling tournament
January 12, 2010
This past weekend at the Fort Collins Tournament the Middle Park High School varsity wrestlers – all five of them – finished 11th out of 17 teams.
“By far the smallest team there, I thought that we did a very good job,” said coach Cal Cherrington.
Shelby Garrett at 145 pounds made his way to the championship match for the fourth straight tournament of the season.
He ran into Nathanial Garcia from Windsor, who is a two-time state runner-up in the 4A division.
Brian Macchione, seeded 5th at 189 pounds in the tournament, wrestled really well to reach the championship bout before losing to Banning Lobmeyer from Windsor in an exciting match.
Brandon Strang, 103 pounds, placed third after winning four matches of the day.
Brandon’s lone loss came to the top ranked 103 pound wrestler in the 5A division, Kegan Gavalden from Fort Collins High School.
Nathan Birdseye, at 152 pounds, went 2-2 on the day.
Mitch Steffen, 140 pounds, won his first match of the day before being knocked out of the tournament.
Three of Middle Park’s freshman participated in the Rocky Mountain High School Junior Varsity Tournament. Cody Garrett won two matches on the day, Conor Peters and Greg Griffon both lost their opening matches and were eliminated from competition.
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Police search and seize black market marijuana operation in Granby
- Winter Park Resort wakes up to a foot of fresh powder, but still seriously behind 10-year average
- Prior child sexual assault conviction becomes issue for Kremmling trustee candidate
- Arrest made in Basalt bottle case after cops stake out dumping ground
- Winter Park Resort’s Zephyr Express to be replaced by new 10-person gondola (with video)