Gore Fest seeks volunteers
August 16, 2016
Grand County will see an influx of rafters, kayakers, SUP boarders and whitewater enthusiasts as Gore Fest 2016 approaches on August 26-28.
Gore Fest is presented by American Whitewater. Organizers are still seeking sponsors and volunteer safety team members. All safety team members are required to have CPR/First Aid certifications and be somewhat familiar with running Gore Canyon. The safety crew will conduct a course sweep on Friday, August 26 to run through safety procedures prior to the race. Gore Canyon is a remote area, and access is difficult in many areas, making the safety team one of the most important aspects of this event.
Gore Festivities include the signature race through Gore Canyon, a freestyle kayak rodeo in the new whitewater park, SUP races and demos, and a family float through Little Gore Canyon. Camping is available at Rancho Del Rio where many of the off-water events will take place. The downriver SUP race is the official race four of the Paddle the Rockies series. Registration includes a one-year American Whitewater membership, a competitor shirt, festival camping, and meal Saturday night. Each additional event is $5 more. For people interested in just enjoying the festivities and not competing, you can pay ahead for you camping at Rancho del Rio or use the donation page to support the protection of fun for the Upper Colorado River.
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Shed antler hunting gets restrictions to reduce stress on wildlife
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ is leaving Park County, but residents continue to fight for more mining oversight
- ‘River bottles’ found in area streams contain hazardous materials — don’t touch
- Mountain Parks Electric to build fiber-optic backbone for internet service
- Local rental management businesses offer warning to second-home owners