Granby: Middle Park runners begin season Thursday
August 27, 2008
Middle Park High’s cross country runners will be stepping to their first starting line of the 2008 season on Thursday afternoon in Fort Collins.
The Panther thinclads will race their season-opener at Fossil Ridge High School. The 5-kilometer course is described as a basically flat, fast course. The first race starts at 4 p.m.
“It’s being called the pre-state meet because the state meet will be held there this October,” said coach Jim “Cajun” Courville. “It’s also going to be a big meet with at least 25 teams from the 1A to 3A divisions.”
Nine girls and six boys are on the Middle Park team’s roster. The Panther runners are:
Girls ” Jessica Bondi, Hannah Garcia, Kelly Little, Samantha Miyauchi, Melissa Plum, Sarah Williams, Ryndi Zastrow, Lindsay Jones and Samantha Berggren.
Boys ” Jared Cooper, Matt Curran, Hugh McDonough, Matt Naschak, Nick O’Connor and Nathaniel Ziegler.
“This is the third week of official practice,” Courville said. “Have we done enough to get ready? I think we are ready, but we’ll know this Thursday. This first race will be inventory time.”
Assisting Courville in coaching this year’s team is Courtney McCrea, who is a new teacher at Middle Park High School.
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Police search and seize black market marijuana operation in Granby
- Prior child sexual assault conviction becomes issue for Kremmling trustee candidate
- Winter Park Resort wakes up to a foot of fresh powder, but still seriously behind 10-year average
- Students walk out at Middle Park High School in support of Parkland shooting victims
- Alterra plans $555 million in capital investments over next five years, including at Winter Park Resort