Granby: Middle Park sends 12 skiers to championships in Steamboat Springs
February 21, 2008
By Will Bublitz
Sky-Hi Daily News
Middle Park High’s skiers are now at the starting line of the 2008 Colorado High School Skiing Championships in Steamboat Springs this week.
The Panthers are sending 12 athletes to this year’s state meet. Three of Middle Park’s skiers will be competing in the alpine events while the other nine will be racing in the Nordic ski competitions.
The Panthers’ alpine ski racers are Kylie Kroneberger, Brenna Dee and Matt Hydrusko. They are coached by Lisa Mirabito.
The Nordic skiers racing for Middle Park this week are Makenna Morck, Mackenzie Wilderman, Ryndi Zastrow, Samantha Miyauchi, Eric Shurson, Hugh McDonough, Matt Curran, Ben Shipman and Matt Naschak. They are coached by Wade Wilderman.
The state meet officially began Wednesday with the opening ceremonies at Steamboat’s famous Howelson Hill.
The racing begins today. The Nordic skiers will kick it off with skating technique races that are scheduled to start at 10 a.m. at Howelson Hill. The alpine skiers join the fun with slalom races that get under way at 3 p.m., also at Howelson Hill.
The state championships continue on Friday with the alpine skiers getting things started with giant slalom races at 9 a.m. at Mount Werner. The competition will conclude with the Nordic skiers “going for it” in classic technique races at 3 p.m.
The awards banquet for the 2008 Colorado High School Skiing Championships will be at 6 p.m. at Steamboat Springs High School.
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Police search and seize black market marijuana operation in Granby
- Prior child sexual assault conviction becomes issue for Kremmling trustee candidate
- Winter Park Resort wakes up to a foot of fresh powder, but still seriously behind 10-year average
- Students walk out at Middle Park High School in support of Parkland shooting victims
- Alterra plans $555 million in capital investments over next five years, including at Winter Park Resort