Grand County Gymnastics Team brings home medals from state
July 31, 2008
Several medals were won by the young gymnasts of the Grand County Gymnastics Team at last weekend’s 2008 CARA State Gymnastics Championships in Aurora.
Held at Overland High School, the state meet saw 22 teams and more than 100 gymnasts competing on Friday and Saturday, July 25-26. The top six finishers in the all-around category (four events) and the individual events won medals.
The Grand County team, which is coached by Jenny Krieg, sent 10 of its members to the championships.
Topping the list of accomplishments by the local team was Talise Hansen, who won an all-around state championship title in the Compulsory 4 group for ages 11-12. She placed second in the balance beam, fourth in vault, fifth in uneven parallel bars and seventh in floor exercise.
“I felt good and surprised when I won first place,” Hansen said. “I plan to work hard and keep going to become better and better.”
An all-around third place was earned by Ashley Matney in the Optional 2 competition for ages 7-12. She won the balance beam event and placed sixth in the floor exercise.
Competing in same ability class, Brianne Eatough took a second-place medal in the balance beam event with a score of 8.050.
Also taking a runner-up spot was 7-year-old Kierra Barr in the Compulsory 4 category. In addition, she took a 12th place in the vault.
Haley Weimer placed fourth in the vault for 8-year-olds in the Compulsory 4 class.
A sixth-place medal in the uneven parallel bars was earned by Mary Acord in the Optional 2 competition for ages 7-12.
The results for the rest of Grand County Gymnastics Team’s competitors at the state meet are:
Josie Quinn, Optional 1 for ages 11-12, an all-around 12th place with a ninth in floor exercise, 11th in balance beam, 14th in uneven parallel bars and 17th in vault
Erin Coatney, Optional 1 for ages 11-12, a 12th place in the floor exercise
Eric Weimer, Compulsory 4 for 7-year-olds, ninth place in the vault
Mackenzee McRoy, Compulsory 4 for 10-year-olds, eighth in vault and 10th in balance beam.
Having completed its season at the state championships, Grand County Gymnastics Team is now on break. The team will resume practice sessions at Granby Elementary School in early September.
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Warrior’s Scramble Catch and Release fishing tournament Feb 12 on Williams Fork Reservoir
- Elite athletes training to achieve highest paralympic level
- Alpine Aerials Gymnastics girls rock at statewide competition
- Bob Singley, Winter Park skiing legend, inducted into Hall of Fame
- Local rental management businesses offer warning to second-home owners
- Alterra’s new Ikon ski pass cost heats up rivalry with Vail Resorts
- Robert ‘Mark’ Smith gets $960K in settlement, must sell Kremmling properties
- USS Colorado to be commissioned
- Winter Park approves spring music series, extension for Rendezvous expansion