Grand County Master Trails Plan just the beginning
April 23, 2015
Headwaters Trails Alliance held a meeting on April 21 to give a brief overview and gather public input for the Master Trails Plan. More than 70 people attended the two sessions. Scott Linnenburger, who has been contracted to complete the plan, did an excellent job of giving an overview as well as explain a few of the hurdles ahead.
There are quite a few stakeholders in our area. Some of those are the U.S. Forest Service, the BLM, towns of Winter Park and Fraser, Grand County, private landowners, Winter Park Resort, Denver Water and Grand Adventures.
In addition there are special interest groups. To be clear, everyone is a special interest, whether you bike, hike, ride horses, snowmobile, motorcycle, ski or engage in any one of countless other ways we use the land. All of those entities will impact the final Master Trails Plan as each will have their desires, which may not be the same for everyone.
Sometime in June the Master Trails Plan will be completed. Even though it has taken years to get to this point, creating the plan is just the beginning. The next steps will involve determining what can be accomplished and how to go about that. Not everything in the plan will happen.
“To be clear, everyone is a special interest, whether you bike, hike, ride horses, snowmobile, motorcycle, ski or engage in any one of countless other ways we use the land.”
Environmental studies will need to be completed to determine impacts and whether those impacts exceed federal regulations. What will we as users gain and what will we need to give up to create the best possible experience? How will the plan be funded? This may be a short paragraph, but it contains some huge hurdles.
Obviously, much still needs to happen to keep this project moving forward. It will take investments of money and time from our community to reap the rewards of all of the effort to get this far. To find out more about the plan and how you can help, contact Headwaters Trails Alliance at 970-726-1013.
Looking for more information or want to get involved as a mountain biker? Like Grand Mountain Bike Alliance (GMBA) on Facebook. GMBA is your local mountain bike group. Check out Mountainbikecapitalusa.com. Great site by the Winter Park Chamber!
Keith Sanders is president of the Grand Mountain Bike Alliance, 3x US National Mountain Bike Champion and owner of Beavers Sports Shop. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Elite athletes training to achieve highest paralympic level
- Warrior’s Scramble Catch and Release fishing tournament Feb 12 on Williams Fork Reservoir
- Alpine Aerials Gymnastics girls rock at statewide competition
- Fraser: Alpine Aerials Gymnastics Meet results
- Local rental management businesses offer warning to second-home owners
- USS Colorado to be commissioned
- Alterra’s new Ikon ski pass cost heats up rivalry with Vail Resorts
- Robert ‘Mark’ Smith gets $960K in settlement, must sell Kremmling properties
- Winter Park approves spring music series, extension for Rendezvous expansion