Grand County Special Olympians win gold, silver at Winter Games
March 11, 2008
Team NSCD, the Grand County Special Olympics Alpine Ski Team, celebrated big success at the 2008 Winter Games state meet March 3-4 in Copper Mountain.
Team NSCD (National Sports Center for the Disabled) consists of Rebecca Huse, an East Grand Middle School (EGMS) sixth-grader, and Samantha Mays and Elizabeth Willman, both EGMS fifth-graders.
Becca earned a silver medal in the Intermediate slalom course on the run Easy Feelin’. She also earned a silver medal in giant slalom course set up on the run Scooter. Elizabeth won a gold medal on both her slalom and giant slalom courses set up on Carefree. Sammi won gold medals for both slalom and giant slalom runs set on Bittersweet.
The team enjoyed award ceremonies, a dinner dance and opening ceremonies complete with a torchlight parade and fireworks as well as two days of racing.
The team trains for five weeks prior to the Games at Sol Vista Ski Basin. A regional meet was held this year at Eldora Mountain Resort, allowing the team to practice race skills on a different mountain.
Watch for two new Special Olympics Teams forming, a track and field team for the spring and a tennis team for the summer.
Anyone interested in volunteering about an hour a week to help maintain the high level of competition the team requires, call or e-mail Erica Mays at (970) 726-9299 or email@example.com
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Local rental management businesses offer warning to second-home owners
- Shed antler hunting gets restrictions to reduce stress on wildlife
- Mountain Parks Electric to build fiber-optic backbone for internet service
- ‘River bottles’ found in area streams contain hazardous materials — don’t touch
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ is leaving Park County, but residents continue to fight for more mining oversight