Jackie Wright: Stay Fit While Enjoying Your Summer Visitors
July 30, 2010
Have you had any summer visitors lately? Well, we have and that is to be expected when we live in a beautiful mountain resort with a plethora of exciting and fun outdoor activities to enjoy. However, hosting summer visitors can play havoc with your summer workouts and may create some inconsistency leading to loss of fitness level and weight gain. herefore, this week we will feature ten tips for staying on track while enjoying your wonderful summer visitors. As always, please consult your physician prior to beginning any exercise program.
Ten tips for staying on track:
• Plan your workouts ahead of time and inform your visitors so they are aware of your workout schedule. Assure them that your workouts will not interfere with their visit but that you need to stay on track. If they really love and care about you, they will support you.
• If they are healthy and fit enough, offer to have them join you for your scheduled workouts. It can be great fun to workout with your friends and family and it gives them an opportunity to see what you do to stay fit and to maintain their fitness levels during vacation.
• If they don’t want to join you, then plan an alternative activity for them to enjoy while you workout. If your summer workout is cycling, and they are not into cycling, then drive to a great hiking location, send them off for a hike and join them later for lunch.
• If every day is hectic with your visitors, then while they are staying with you, plan to get up earlier and get your workout in before they begin their day.
• Be creative and plan different workouts during their visit that you know they will enjoy too so you all can stay fit in the process (i.e. hike, bike, swim, sail or kayak).
• Create a plan which will be inclusive so that all visitors enjoy the activities of their choice. This may take some additional pre-planning on your part, but it will enable everyone to be active, have fun and will provide you with the time to get in your workouts.
• Get everyone moving! Go for walks every morning, after every meal and before bedtime. This can be quality time with your guests that they will remember for years to come. The walks may also help to supplement your workout schedule if you are unable to squeeze every workout in during their visit.
• Create a quiet time each day following the day’s activities and use this time to pop out for your workouts. Again, your guests can rest and rejuvenate for the evening’s activities while you scoot out for a quick calorie burn and stress release.
• If you do not have a full hour or more for your workouts while they are visiting, then workout more frequently during the visit but shorten the duration.
Have a great summer and enjoy your visitors while staying fit!
Next week we will begin a four-week series featuring great fitness vacation locations.
Jackie Wright is the owner/manager of Never Summer Fitness, LLC located in Grand Lake, Colorado. She can be reached at her website at http://www.neversummerfitness.com, her email at NSFGL@comcast.net and her blog at http://www.skyhidailynews.com.
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Suspected pipe bombs found during traffic stop near Grand Lake
- Riverside Spirits to relocate to downtown Winter Park leaving resort with fewer off-sale liquor options
- (CORRECTED) Registered sex offender running for office in Kremmling
- POLICE: Recent debit card fraud in Fraser Valley originated locally
- Grand County real estate transactions, from March 11-17