Kids for Kids Triathlon in Fraser Sunday
August 11, 2016
The 7th Annual Kids for Kids Triathlon is Sunday, August 14 held at the Grand Park Community Recreation Center.
This race is Tim Stabbe's third year as the race director. He has been the Recreation Center manager at the Grand Park Community Recreation Center since 2012.
All proceeds go directly to the Fraser Valley Recreation Foundation and all staff volunteer on their time.
"We give out scholarships to kids in the community who can't afford sports," said Stabbe.
"The idea is to help local kids in the community."
Two local sisters will be participating in their first triathlon on Sunday. Tabernash residents Brooke Bailey, 11, and Ashley Bailey, 8 will be toeing the line on Sunday. Both siblings are on the Peak Swim Team. Their coach, Tim Stabbe, told them it would be a fun thing to do so their mother, Erika Bailey signed them up.
Brooke, will be heading into sixth grade this fall. She really likes swimming. "It's good for your body and it's a really fun sport".
"If you do water sports it's important to learn to swim," she said.
"I like being on Peak Swim Team because everyone is so nice and everyone supports you all the time and drives you to be better. I'm ten times better than before I joined."
Brook likes to mountain bike and run with her friends. She has participated in the Fraser Running Club and track events at Field Day.
"My goal is to get as good as the older girls on the team."
She will be ready on race day.
Ashley is going into third grade and she likes all the sports in the triathlon.
"I love running. My dad calls me 'Flash' because I am fast," she said.
She loves swim team because the team always supports her at the meets.
"We cheer each other on."
She especially likes to bike when her grandparents visit and they bike around their house.
"I hope to have fun and help raise money to help kids, and maybe inspire them," she said.
Stabbe expects about 50 to 75 kids on Sunday and is still looking for volunteers. High school students can get community service hours, he said. He can be reached at 970-531-0602.
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Grand County Trail of the Week: High Lonesome Hut
- Warrior’s Scramble Catch and Release fishing tournament Feb 12 on Williams Fork Reservoir
- NSCD Celebrates its 41st annual event
- Trophies, cash and fun times on the ice at the 3 Lakes Ice Fishing Contest
- Bob Singley, Winter Park skiing legend, inducted into Hall of Fame
- Union Pacific Railroad gets cease and desist order after illegal discharge into Fraser River
- Alterra’s new Ikon ski pass cost heats up rivalry with Vail Resorts
- Robert ‘Mark’ Smith gets $960K in settlement, must sell Kremmling properties
- Resident has heated exchange with county over Henderson mill revaluation
- Mountain Rescue | Avalanche danger: Know before you go