Kremmling " Ninth annual Big Shooter Bonk Ski Marathon is Saturday
March 19, 2009
Bring your skinny skis to the Latigo Guest Ranch near Kremmling on Saturday for some Nordic racing and skiing ” and don’t forget your appetite.
That’s because after four races take place during the ninth annual Big Shooter Bonk Ski Marathon, participants will belly up for a post-race feast, said race organizer Shawn Scholl.
Beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday, March 21, racers will compete in 20-, 40- and 60-kilometer events on a new course. A 7.5K fun ski will be offered for less ambitious skiers as well.
Scholl said racers from Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and New Mexico have committed to the event.
“We still have plenty of snow” Scholl said. “The course is in good shape.”
Entry fees are $25 for the long races and $10 for the fun ski and include the post-race meal at the ranch. Registered racers also receive a complimentary pair of socks.
Scholl urges racers and non-racers alike to join in the fun.
“Come and out and see some of the most spectacular scenery in Grand County,” he said. “People don’t have to race; they can just ski and get a meal … It’s not just for the hardcore … It’s a good first-timer event.”
Winners will be awarded homemade prizes crafted by Scholl’s wife, Stephenie.
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Winter Park Resort wakes up to a foot of fresh powder, but still seriously behind 10-year average
- Police search and seize black market marijuana operation in Granby
- Arrest made in Basalt bottle case after cops stake out dumping ground
- Prior child sexual assault conviction becomes issue for Kremmling trustee candidate
- Federal, state, local authorities work together to avoid catastrophe at Green Mountain Reservoir