PGA program Golf in the Schools introduced at Grand Elk
May 17, 2016
Golf in Schools is a national PGA program designed to introduce young students to golf who never had the opportunity to try the game. Mike Ritter, PGA professional at Grand Elk heads up the program at Grand Elk Ranch & Club in Granby with Kyle Beardslee, the assistant golf pro at Grand Elk.
"We received a grant from the PGA to help offset costs associated with bussing student and equipment," said Ritter.
The seventh-graders golfed at Grand Elk last week working on their swing on the course.
Next week the eighth-graders come and play a 9-hole scramble.
While the program ends next week, all students were given a free range pass at Grand Elk for the season.
In its third year, Ritter is seeing student progress in the sport while gaining experience in the program.
"It's about sparking an interest in the game," said Ritter.
"I've loved being involved with the schools. The kids have so much energy and enthusiasm. When they finish a session of hitting the 10 balls, they go racing out to get the balls."
Andy Paugh, PE teacher at East Grand Middle School and Lucy Lozar also helped teach the students. Volunteers that helped included Scott Emery, Dave Freeman, Deb Kohlwey. "They were all such a huge help," Ritter said.
Grand Elk makes the course available at no cost to the student as part of the Golf in Schools program.
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Warrior’s Scramble Catch and Release fishing tournament Feb 12 on Williams Fork Reservoir
- Elite athletes training to achieve highest paralympic level
- Bob Singley, Winter Park skiing legend, inducted into Hall of Fame
- Rau: Nordic ski trails are free at Ski Granby Ranch
- Local rental management businesses offer warning to second-home owners
- Alterra’s new Ikon ski pass cost heats up rivalry with Vail Resorts
- Robert ‘Mark’ Smith gets $960K in settlement, must sell Kremmling properties
- USS Colorado to be commissioned
- Winter Park approves spring music series, extension for Rendezvous expansion