Proposed changes to improve trails
May 6, 2016
I'm pretty happy to see the sun! The snow is melting fast and we are going to be riding our favorite trails very very soon! The summer is ahead of us with new adventures to be had and old trails to be visited again. We have a great trail system here and there is a lot going on that will make it even better.
There are some changes proposed to the trail system to improve it not only for mountain bikers but all users. The USFS has proposed quite a few improvements to the system to make a better user experience and more seamless connections from trail to trail. Final approval is still to be made but should this happen then it will be the greatest improvement to any trail system in Grand County.
The BLM has announced that there are a few logging operations proposed for the area north of Tabernash commonly known as the Phases. This area has been very popular for early and late season riding and contains some of our best trails. One issue that has always been a challenge is how to take this area and connect it to other trails. Currently the Phases are a system that does not connect to other trails in the county. We do have the opportunity to propose trails to the BLM and USFS in order to make this area part of the larger trail system in the Fraser Valley and beyond.
Grand Mountain Bike Alliance is having its monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 10 in the Headwaters Trails Alliance building in Fraser. At this meeting we will be discussing putting together a committee to identify possible trail connections from the Phases to other parts of the trail system. We will be looking for people to help complete this project.
We will also be working on developing weekly evening trail work projects. The idea is to have a scheduled weekly project where we can do a couple of hours of trail work on a drop in basis. We are also looking for volunteers the help make this idea become real.
Come to our meeting and help improve the mountain biking and trails in Winter Park. See you there!
Enjoy your rides! Life's too short not to have fun! Looking for more information or want to get involved as a mountain biker? Like Grand Mountain Bike Alliance (GMBA) on Facebook. GMBA is your local mountain bike group. Check out Mountainbikecapitalusa.com.
Keith Sanders is the President of the Grand Mountain Bike Alliance, 3x US National Mountain Bike Champion and owner of Beavers Sports Shop. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Warrior’s Scramble Catch and Release fishing tournament Feb 12 on Williams Fork Reservoir
- Elite athletes training to achieve highest paralympic level
- Rau: Nordic ski trails are free at Ski Granby Ranch
- Alpine Aerials Gymnastics girls rock at statewide competition
- Local rental management businesses offer warning to second-home owners
- Alterra’s new Ikon ski pass cost heats up rivalry with Vail Resorts
- Robert ‘Mark’ Smith gets $960K in settlement, must sell Kremmling properties
- USS Colorado to be commissioned
- Winter Park approves spring music series, extension for Rendezvous expansion