Sanders: Warm memories of summer mountain biking
February 12, 2015
One of the hardest things about mountain biking in Winter Park is deciding what to ride. I think you know you are living in or visiting the right place when this is a problem. There are so many options to choose from. It's tough: Do I ride something new, create a new loop or go with an old standby. Many times the "old standby" is one of the best experiences.
One of my favorite rides is the Tipperary Race Course. http://epicsingletrack.com/downloads/kor_course.pdf I think this is an all time classic ride. It has beautiful climbs through aspen and pines (yes even a few live ones), stream crossings, long rewarding descents, smile-inducing singletrack and a little bit of everything that makes mountain biking so enjoyable. If you have ever thought about racing this is a great event. Each ride means something different to everyone. Of course I love the thrill of racing the Tipperary Race Course. Pushing myself to the limit and the sense of accomplishment at the end.
All that said one of my most enjoyable pastimes and one that produces memorable experiences is riding with my family. Last summer was my son's first time up Tipperary, and while it was a long climb his excitement at the top will never be forgotten. He rode quite a bit this summer and was ready to tackle something that was new to him and a bit more challenging than what he had been riding. We went at his pace, both climbing and descending — very important when you take family and friends biking, we stopped to take in the beauty and made sure that everyone drank plenty of water. Although he was tired at the end he was quite proud of his accomplishment.
Mountain biking can always make you smile. It can be the challenge of pushing yourself or the joy of sharing the experience with someone else. Regardless, we all do it because it puts a smile on our face and allows the kid trapped inside to get out and play.
“Mountain biking can always make you smile. It can be the challenge of pushing yourself or the joy of sharing the experience with someone else.”
Grand Mountain Bike Alliance is having its monthly meeting Tuesday, Feb. 17, at 6:30 p.m. Location to be announced on our Facebook page.
Looking for more information? Like Grand Mountain Bike Alliance (GMBA) on Facebook. GMBA is your local mountain bike group. Check out Mountainbikecapitalusa.com. Great site by the Winter Park Chamber!
Keith Sanders is the President of the Grand Mountain Bike Alliance, 3x US National Mountain Bike Champion and owner of Beavers Sports Shop. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Warrior’s Scramble Catch and Release fishing tournament Feb 12 on Williams Fork Reservoir
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Ice Rinks of Grand County
- New summer tubing hill nears completion at Snow Mountain Ranch
- Grand County Sheriff’s Office honors fallen deputy with ‘Race for Riggs’
- Shed antler hunting gets restrictions to reduce stress on wildlife
- Winter Park Resort bucks bad snowpack perception
- Winter Park Town Manager Drew Nelson resigns after domestic violence charge
- CAIC issues avalanche advisory as NOAA warns of looming winter weather
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ is leaving Park County, but residents continue to fight for more mining oversight