Winter Park skiers training for U.S. Ski Team selections
November 20, 2014
There's more than snow flying at Winter Park Resort this week.
Two of Winter Park's top winter athletes, freestyle aerialist Nik Seemann and mogul skier Joel Hedrick, have started their early season training at Winter Park Resort.
After a summer of training on water, coach Chris Seemann said early season training is about getting back to basics.
"Early season training is just getting back on snow and getting back to landing on a real incline," Chris said.
“I had good landings, worked on my takeoffs, and they were improving. So we’re getting close to getting ready to go out to Park City, Utah.”
Training for the U.S. Aerial Selection
Nik, 17, is currently training for the U.S. Aerial Selection, which will be held in Park City, Utah, from Dec. 18 to 21.
Nik said his training day on Nov. 19 focused on his more basic jumps – single back flips and backflips with a full twist, also called a back full.
The 2014 Junior National Aerial Champion said he got in nine or 10 training jumps.
"It went well," Nik said. "I had good landings, worked on my takeoffs, and they were improving. So we're getting close to getting ready to go out to Park City, Utah."
Some of Nik's new tricks this year involve both single twisting and double twisting backflips, he said.
Hedrick, 18, is training for the U.S. Moguls Selection, which will be held in Winter Park from Dec. 16 to 21.
Hedrick was the 2014 Junior National Freestyle Mogul Champion.
Both skiers are eyeing spots on the U.S. Ski Team for the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea.
Nik and Hedrick will be training at Winter Park for the next two weeks, Seemann said.
Hank Shell can be reached at 970-887-3334 ext. 19610.
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Grand County Trail of the Week: High Lonesome Hut
- Warrior’s Scramble Catch and Release fishing tournament Feb 12 on Williams Fork Reservoir
- NSCD Celebrates its 41st annual event
- Trophies, cash and fun times on the ice at the 3 Lakes Ice Fishing Contest
- Bob Singley, Winter Park skiing legend, inducted into Hall of Fame
- Union Pacific Railroad gets cease and desist order after illegal discharge into Fraser River
- Alterra’s new Ikon ski pass cost heats up rivalry with Vail Resorts
- Robert ‘Mark’ Smith gets $960K in settlement, must sell Kremmling properties
- Resident has heated exchange with county over Henderson mill revaluation
- Mountain Rescue | Avalanche danger: Know before you go