Winter Park’s Irving posts double win on national tour
January 29, 2015
Birk Irving of Winter Park won both the mens halfpipe and slopestyle competitions on Wednesday at Seven Springs Mountain Resort, Pa., competing at the second stop of the U.S. Revolution Tour, according to http://usfreeskiing.com/.
The 15-year-old rookie team rider dominated the 22-foot halfpipe, posting the two highest scores of the day and landing a switch cork 900 for the first time, according to the website. On the slopestyle course, Irving linked a switch rightside 900 to a leftside double 1260 to ice his win.
"It's crazy to think about sweeping pipe and slope, because last year I was just doing 360s. This year, just being able to put down a run and contend with all the other athletes is just crazy," Irving told http://usfreeskiing.com/.
Irving has been on the US Ski Team since last year. He attends Middle Park High School.
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Warrior’s Scramble Catch and Release fishing tournament Feb 12 on Williams Fork Reservoir
- Elite athletes training to achieve highest paralympic level
- Alpine Aerials Gymnastics girls rock at statewide competition
- Bob Singley, Winter Park skiing legend, inducted into Hall of Fame
- Local rental management businesses offer warning to second-home owners
- Alterra’s new Ikon ski pass cost heats up rivalry with Vail Resorts
- Robert ‘Mark’ Smith gets $960K in settlement, must sell Kremmling properties
- USS Colorado to be commissioned
- Winter Park approves spring music series, extension for Rendezvous expansion