WP freestylers take part in virtual competition
March 17, 2016
Several young Winter Park skiers recently competed in a unique Slopestyle competition called the North Face Park and Pipe Open Series. (PPOS).
The PPOS is a virtual competition where competitors send in footage of tricks and technique for different categories. This allows them to stay at their home mountain on terrain they are familiar with and compete against others around the US and Canada. It also allows skiers who may not have time to compete the chance to show their talent without having to travel. Judging for the PPOS is also unique because it involves an initial round of public voting. After that, judges, who are either pro skiers or professional judges, select finalists based on a combination of public voting and their own assessments of videos submitted. Results are based on a final round where competitors are judged normally, as though in a live competition, and given an overall "impression score" between 1-100 to determine winners.
Main categories include Slopestyle, Big Air, and Halfpipe. Specialty categories include best trick, the "Clif Bar Two Trick Pony" and "Best 100% GoPro Edit." The Two Trick Pony award is presented to competitors that demonstrate the best performance in more than one category. The GoPro Edit is the best video sent in edited using only GoPro software.
Winter Park's Noah Ladd took 11th place in the Men's Big Air Competition, Andre Hamm grabbed 13th in the Men's slopestyle, and Dylan and Connor Ladd made out well in all their junior events. Dylan and Connor Ladd competed in slopestyle, big air, and halfpipe, and managed to pull off impressive scores in all three. They also finished in back-to-back spots in each event with Dylan in 6th, Connor in 7th overall; Connor in 3rd, Dylan in 4th in Big Air; and Dylan in 1st, and Connor in 2nd for Halfpipe. Winter Park took the top three in junior halfpipe with Hunter Carey coming in third behind the Ladds.
Submissions of the Winter Park competitors can be found on thenorthfaceppos.com
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Warrior’s Scramble Catch and Release fishing tournament Feb 12 on Williams Fork Reservoir
- Elite athletes training to achieve highest paralympic level
- Bob Singley, Winter Park skiing legend, inducted into Hall of Fame
- Rau: Nordic ski trails are free at Ski Granby Ranch
- Local rental management businesses offer warning to second-home owners
- Alterra’s new Ikon ski pass cost heats up rivalry with Vail Resorts
- Robert ‘Mark’ Smith gets $960K in settlement, must sell Kremmling properties
- USS Colorado to be commissioned
- Winter Park approves spring music series, extension for Rendezvous expansion