Full moon ski, potluck, race on tap for Grand County Nordic skiers this weekend
Grand Nordic president
Grand County, CO Colorado
The 3rd Annual Backyard Barbecue is the afternoon of March 27, featuring barbecue, beer, raffle prizes, fun and games. That evening from 6:30-9:30 p.m., skiers can enjoy the last full moon ski and ice skating of the season with a $5 Trail Pass/ $5 Rental – bonfire, marshmallows, and hot chocolate. Call Devils Thumb Activities Center at 970-726-8231 for more details. April 11 is closing day.
YMCA Snow Mountain Ranch
• Grand Nordic and Boulder Nordic will host the last potluck and moonlight ski of the season starting at 6 p.m. on Friday, March 26 with appetizers from 6-7 p.m. and skiing or potluck dinner until 10 p.m. For details about the event, go to http://www.grandnordic.org or call Diana Lynn Rau at 970-887-3095.
• The YMCA offers free skiing for Grand County locals on Wednesdays. Call the cross-country shop for sales on special equipment purchases. An informal training race series lets you time yourself every Sunday morning at 9:30 a.m. Closing day is April 11 and the annual Ascent on Blue Ridge End of Season will be April 10.
Other cross-country news
• The Big Shooter Bonk with 17k, 34K and 51K freestyle races and an 8K recreational race will be March 27, starting at 10 a.m. at Latigo Ranch near Kremmling. See http://www.bigshootercoffeeshop.com for additional details or call Stephanie Scholl at 970-724-3735.
• Warm afternoons and cold nights make morning crust skiing in the open valleys of Grand County awesome this time of year. You can ski virtually everywhere. Get permission from landowners and take your dog for incredible skating adventures.
• Most of the Nordic areas will close by mid-April so enjoy them now. Grand Lake has officially closed. Look for end of season parties and equipment sales.
Information on these events and more can be found at http://www.grandnordic.org.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grand County make the Sky-Hi News' work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User