Jackie Wright: An Aqua Circuit Program for Any Body
Grand County, CO Colorado
Third in a three-part series
This week we will highlight the final installment in this series– the group exercise segment for the upper/lower body and the stretching/flexibility segment. As always, prior to beginning any exercise program, please consult your physician.
Group Exercise Segment – 15 minutes
For all exercises keep the head/neck/shoulders a natural extension of the spine, shoulders rotated back/down, rib cage lifted, navel pulled toward the spine as you engage your pelvic floor muscles, neutral spine and keep the knees relaxed. Legs should begin shoulder distance apart.
Push/pull deliberately through the water. A quick tempo creates greater resistance through the water. Perform two/three sets of 12 repetitions of each exercise on each side where applicable.
Lower Body Exercises – 7-8 minutes
Standing Hip Abduction – Begin standing with the left shoulder facing the pool wall.
• Transfer the body weight into the left hip/leg and abduct the right leg directly to the side and back to the beginning position. Keep knee and toes facing forward.
• Standing Hip Extensions – Begin standing facing the side of the pool with the shoulders/hips/knees and toes all facing the same direction.
• Transfer the body weight into the left hip/leg and extend the right leg straight back from the hip to approximately 20-30 degrees of hip extension.
Upper Body Exercises – 7-8 minutes
Pushups – The vertical pushup and the diagonal pushup are featured.
• Vertical Pushups – Begin standing close to and facing the side of the pool with the hands on top of the pool deck, the front of the legs/hips against the pool side and the legs flexed 90 degrees at the knee joint, ankles crossed.
• Wrists should be directly under the shoulder joint when the arms are extended.
• Push your body weight up until the arms are fully extended, and then lower your body back into the water.
• Diagonal Pushups – same position except you walk your feet out away from the side of the pool, rise up on the balls of your feet and create a diagonal line from the top of your head to your heels.
• Create a 90 degree flexion at the elbow joint and then push through the water extending the arms. Create push and pull as you pushup.
Stretching/Flexibility Segment – 5 minutes – all stretches are held for 15-30 seconds statically to a point of tension, never pain. Breathe deeply and rhythmically throughout each stretch.
• Standing glutes, hamstrings, calf/Achilles stretch facing the wall, hinging from the hips pressing the tailbone toward the other end of the pool, holding the side of the pool edge, with the right heel on the bottom of the pool and the toes facing upward. Keep the left leg flexed throughout and the chest up.
• Standing quadriceps/hip flexors stretch facing sideways, flexing the right leg back until you are able to comfortably hold the right foot with the right hand, pressing the base of your pelvis forward opening the right hip.
• Perform a standing to “seated” position hip abductor stretch with the back against the side of the pool, cross the right foot over the left knee and hinge into a seated position.
• Perform lumbar spine, pectoralis, latissimus dorsi, trapezius, cervical and lateral flexor stretches away from the side of the pool.
Jackie Wright is the owner/manager of Never Summer Fitness, LLC located in Grand Lake, Colorado. She may be reached at her website at http://www.neversummerfitness.com, her email at NSFGL@comcast.net, her blog at http://www.skyhidailynews.com and her Facebook page at Never Summer Fitness.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.
Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.
If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The West Grand girls cruised to victory 52-32 against Lake County on Tuesday in Kremmling.