Jackie Wright – Great Outdoor/Indoor Workouts
Grand Lake, CO Colorado
Third in a three-part series
The past two weeks we have featured two great outdoor/indoor workouts and this week we will provide the details of the abdominals/core segment of the second workout. Then, workout program number three will be highlighted. Choose one of the three programs and perform it two-three times per week for a period of two-three weeks, then move on to the next program choice to provide variety, cross-training and fun! As always, please consult your physician prior to beginning any exercise program.
Details of the Abdominals/Core Segment of Workout Program No. 2 – 10 minutes
• Reverse Curls with rotations – 8-12 reps (right/left is one repetition)
• Bicycles – 12 reps (right/left is one repetition)
• Supine roll ups/peel offs from the floor – 8 reps
• Prone roll outs on a stability ball – 8 reps
• Bird Dog (floor exercise) – twice each side
(Please feel free to contact me with questions on any of the featured topics/exercises in this column at the email address shown below)
Outdoor/Indoor Workout Program No. 3 – 75 minutes
Outdoor Segment – 60 minutes (Open Space/Park Setting)
• Locate an open space, such as a meadow or park setting that will enable you to get there and back in 60 minutes spending at least 50 minutes in the open space/park.
• Plot out a course for yourself which will enable you to fitness walk, run/jog, and sprint and is level enough to be safe for traveling exercises such as squats/lunges.
• Perform a warm-up segment by walking around the area for 5 minutes bringing the RPE’s to a 2-3 which is light to moderate exertion, then find a flat surface and perform 12 pushups.
• Following the pushups, walk/jog at a moderate pace for 10 minutes followed immediately by a 30-second race pace walk/run/sprint becoming slightly winded bringing your RPE’s to a 4-6 which is somewhat hard to heavy exertion. Keep moving, taking 30 seconds for active recovery.
• Perform traveling lunges across the open space 8 reps in one direction leading with the right leg first and then return in the opposite direction leading with the left leg for 8 reps; repeat this sequence three times.
• Immediately following lunges, begin to walk/jog at a brisk pace for 10 minutes followed by another 30-second race pace walk/run/sprint becoming winded bringing your RPE’s to a 4-6. Keep moving, taking 30 seconds for active recovery.
• Perform traveling squats across the open space 8 reps in one direction leading with the right leg first and then return in the opposite direction leading with the left leg for 8 reps; repeat this sequence three times.
• Immediately following squats, begin to walk/jog at a brisk pace for 15 minutes followed by another 30-second race pace walk/run/sprint until you become winded bringing your RPE’s to a 5-8 which is heavy to very heavy exertion. Keep moving, taking 30 seconds for active recovery.
• Walk home at a comfortable pace, bringing your RPE’s to a 3-4 which is moderate to somewhat hard exertion.
Indoor Segment – 15 minutes
• Immediately perform 10 minutes of abs/core work followed by a 5 minute cool-down stretch focused upon flexibility and relaxation.
Next week, we will discuss how to experience ageless fitness.
Jackie Wright is the owner/manager of Never Summer Fitness, LLC located in Grand Lake, Colorado. She can be reached at her website at http://www.neversummerfitness.com, her email at NSFGL@comcast.net and her blog at http://www.skyhidailynews.com
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.
Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.
If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Winter Park Resort and Trestle Bike Park will open for the summer on Saturday, bringing back mountaintop happy hours at the Sunspot Lodge and Colorado’s longest alpine slide.