Jackie Wright – Make exercise a priority
Grand County, Colorado
It seems my clients’ lives are so incredibly busy these days. But, somehow, the majority of them attend their exercise sessions consistently, enjoy the results that consistent attendance provides, and if they miss, more times than not, they will find a way to make up that session. How do they do it with their hectic schedules? The answer is that they make exercise a priority.
Just about everyone knows that exercise is essential to achieving and maintaining good health, yet only a small percentage of the American population exercises and out of that percentage, even fewer do so consistently throughout their lives. Consequently, learning to prioritize exercise is critical to ensuring consistent exercise adherence.
If prioritizing exercise is a challenge for you, try following these strategies and guidelines. As always, consult your physician prior to beginning any exercise program and consult a certified fitness professional to ensure that your exercise program is safe and effective.
Exercise Priority Strategies and Guidelines
Support Local Journalism
• Make certain that the location where you will attend the exercise program will work for you so that you attend consistently. If you exercise at home, be sure you will not be interrupted, otherwise, find alternative location.
• Set specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely exercise goals. Set yourself up for success by being honest about what you will really do and then consistently do it.
• Be specific about the frequency, intensity, time and type of exercise program you will be performing.
• Be specific about what days of the week you will be performing your exercise program.
• If you truly have a time crunch, seek out exercise programs that will provide you with all five physical fitness components during the time you have allotted over the course of the week.
• Only have 30 minutes for a workout on a day that you had scheduled a 60-minute workout? Then, get out there and workout for 30 minutes finding a time later in the week to make up the time lost.
• Have a plan B and C, possibly D, for any set program. Life happens and you need to be prepared so you exercise consistently.
• If you miss a workout, do not waste time beating yourself up about it; just get right back on track.
• Put your workout dates/times into your planner and stick with that plan. One good strategy when scheduling appointments for your clients/customers, is to check your planner and give them a couple of time choices that work around your scheduled workout. Remember, it is a priority.
• If you know that you are going to be out of town staying in a hotel, check the hotels in the area and see which ones include a fitness facility or outdoor workout space at, or nearby, their establishment.
• Are relatives or friends coming for a visit? Then schedule activities with them around your workouts. This is when plans B, C and D come in handy.
Making exercise a priority in your life gives you the opportunity to experience the incredible health and fitness benefits that a regular exercise program has to offer. So make it a priority today.
Next week, we will discuss how to modify your exercise program to address your physical limitations.
– Jackie Wright is the owner/manager of Never Summer Fitness LLC in downtown Grand Lake, Colorado. She can be reached at her Web site at http://www.neversummerfitness.com, by e-mail at NSFGL@comcast.net or through her blog at http://www.skyhidailynews.com
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grand County make the Sky-Hi News' work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User