Jackie Wright: Rest and Relaxation Day
Grand County CO Colorado
If you have not read and printed off last week’s column, it is a good idea to do so as that information precedes the pure stretch highlighted this week. Setting up the quiet, comfortable and calm environment, performing the mellow heat building rhythmic warm-up and myofascial release, and experiencing the wonderful visual beach journey are integral aspects of the rest and relaxation day. The pure stretch featured below will include stretches for every major muscle group of the body in a variety of positions, all concentrating on enhancing relaxation and flexibility. As always, prior to beginning any exercise program, please consult your physician.
Rest and relaxation pure stretch sequence
Note: Hold each stretch statically to a point of tension, never pain, for 15-30 seconds, breathing rhythmically throughout. If you are unclear how to perform any of these stretches, please feel free to drop me an email and I will send you details.
• Begin lying supine with your legs flexed at the knee joint and soles of your feet on the floor.
• Perform a supine low back/glutes/hamstrings/calf/achilles tendon stretch by extending the right leg toward the ceiling, holding the leg behind the thigh and pressing the right heel toward the ceiling, then perform on the other side.
• Cross the right foot above the left knee performing a “number four” stretch for the hip abductors, drawing the left knee into the chest, hands behind the left thigh, then switch sides.
• Press up slowly into a seated position with the legs comfortably in a tailor’s sit and the hands resting on the knees with the palms facing the ceiling. Perform a cervical stretch bringing the chin to the chest, then right ear to right shoulder, chin to chest, left ear to left shoulder, chin to chest and then head to neutral.
• Bring the soles of the feet together with the legs flexed and the knees lying comfortably out to the sides of the hips performing a hip adductor stretch. Place the hands on the ankles rather than the feet and hinge from the hips, thinking torso moving forward not downward.
• Press yourself up to a kneeling position and perform the cat/cow stretch for the entire spine.
• Once this sequence is completed, perform a kneeling hip flexor/quadriceps stretch with the right foot/leg forward, right knee over right heel and the left leg trailing behind, with the left knee/lower leg on the floor. While you perform this stretch, interlace your fingers behind the back, extending the arms, pressing the knuckles toward the floor opening the pectorals, anterior deltoids and biceps. Then, switch sides and interlace the fingers so the knuckles face the ceiling extending the arms into a lat/oblique stretch.
• Tuck toes of the right foot under and place the hands onto the left thigh pressing yourself into a standing position.
• Standing with legs hip-distance apart, perform a triceps/medial-posterior deltoids stretch for both sides and complete the pure stretch with a deep inhale bringing arms up from the sides of the body over the head, palms as close as possible lengthening the torso, exhale and return the arms to the sides, rotating the shoulders back/down, standing tall.
• Now, enjoy the rest of your day, feeling refreshed, relaxed and lengthened.
Jackie Wright is the owner/manager of Never Summer Fitness, LLC located in Grand Lake, Colorado. She may be reached at her website at http://www.neversummerfitness.com, her email at NSFGL@comcast.net, her blog at http://www.skyhidailynews.com and her Facebook page at Never Summer Fitness.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.
Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.
If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The West Grand girls cruised to victory 52-32 against Lake County on Tuesday in Kremmling.