Jackie Wright: The benefits of partner training
The Fitness Trail
While we have featured partner workouts in this column previously, the partner training highlighted this week refers to personal training with a partner. I am a huge proponent of personal training.
There are simply no downsides to working with a qualified, certified personal trainer. Meeting initially for a comprehensive goals/objectives session, then having a full fitness assessment including functional movement screen, body composition and girth measurements performed to establish a baseline of fitness followed by performing the professionally designed program, just for you, with the trainer, has huge benefits.
However, there is a cost involved which may prohibit some clients from accessing this amazing service and may be why partner training could be the ideal solution. The benefits of partner training are detailed below along with a few tips for what to look for when choosing a training partner. As we enter the spring season, take advantage of training with a partner (i.e. significant other, friend, co-worker, etc.) and reap the incredible fitness rewards. As always, prior to beginning any exercise program, please consult your physician.
Partner Training Benefits
• Cost Reduction – when you train with a partner, you share the cost of the service. So, if a one-hour personal training session is $70/session, you would each pay $35 for a professionally designed program and the opportunity to train with an exercise expert.
• Expert Instruction – Although partner training is not one-on-one training, it is pretty close as the trainer, once they have met with each client in the partnership to establish goals, baseline and determine limitations, designs the program to specifically train the partners simultaneously. Well-designed partner programs flow smoothly and seamlessly providing excellent outcomes.
• Accountability getting to the sessions – on those days when you are lagging behind the eight-ball, your partner will be there to motivate you to get to your training session, remembering that you are sharing in the cost and the commitment.
• Accountability during the sessions – We all have days when we are tired but chances are that your partner may not be as tired as you or vice versa. Therefore, they will boost your energy level and you theirs on those low-energy days.
• Fun – there is little doubt that it is more fun to train with a partner!
What to look for in a training partner
• Their fitness goals are compatible to yours. Perhaps you are both competing in a 5K run or sprint triathlon, the training modalities will be similar; however, the trainer will still address your individual fitness needs.
• Do you really get along consistently? You must be well-suited to one another’s personalities.
• Will they stay committed for the long haul? Choosing a training partner over a couple of beers may not be the best what to determine if they are the right fit for you. Sit down and have a serious, productive discussion about this process so that you support one another from the beginning.
• Do they have the financial capability to afford this type of training? If not, choose another partner because you do not want to be put in the situation where you end up paying for the entire session because they could not swing it. You both have to be ready, willing and able to proceed.
Jackie Wright is the owner/manager of Mountain Life Fitness LLC in Granby. She may be reached at her website at http://www.mtnlifefitness.com, her email at firstname.lastname@example.org and her Facebook page at Mountain Life Fitness.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.
Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.
If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Over the past few days, a dozen fresh inches of snow dropped on Winter Park Resort.