Ten final ways to stay fit and healthy during the holidays: Last in a six-part series
Never Summer Fitness, LLC
Grand County, Colorado
This week, we complete the series with the final 10 ways to stay fit and healthy during the holiday season.
1) If you are able, choose a different snowy path to walk whenever possible during the holidays. Rather than walking the same distance and direction every day, mix it up and try a different terrain. Just make sure you are well prepared for the cold weather and challenging footing. Walk with a friend for safety.
2) When driving to a spot to walk, park far away from the beginning and ending of your walk to get in a few additional steps before getting back in the car.
3) When talking to your relatives on special holidays on the cell or portable phone, walk around rather than sitting if possible. Every step you take burns calories and it is the accumulation of those calories through the day that can make a huge difference in total weight loss throughout the season.
4) This one is a challenge ” but just try putting away the remote controls, just for the holiday season and see if you are able to live without that convenience throughout the year. Again, every step you take counts.
5) Ask for a pedometer as a gift or give one. There are many inexpensive models that count the steps you take daily. This makes you more aware of your activity throughout the day.
6) Create a journal of the steps you take each day during the remainder of the holiday season. Once you get on your feet and really become accountable for your activity level, that level will most probably increase. It is feasible, for just about everyone, to literally take steps to becoming healthy and fit.
7) Create reasons to move each day before the new year. Walk the stairs, park farther from front door of the grocery store and particularly the health club or gym, leave items upstairs that you need and avoid sending the children to retrieve it for you. Once the new year is here, you will have already created new activity habits for yourself.
8) When you are sitting at the computer ordering gifts on-line, get up and walk around for a few minutes, stretch and then return to your gift-purchasing task.
9) Meditate. Take a few moments to reflect on each day during the season and refuse to let the stresses and anxiety take over. The one aspect of our lives that we have control over is our behavior. So, choose to relax and enjoy the beauty that surrounds us, during the season and throughout the year.
10) Play this holiday season. Enjoy all of the movement-oriented activities that we have at our doorstep and enter the new year, revived, renewed and ready to “move” into 2009.
Have a wonderful holiday season.
Next week, we will discuss the new fitness trends and resources for 2009.
” Jackie Wright can be reached at her e-mail address: NSFGL@comcast.net and her blog at skyhidailynews.com.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.