Ten more ways to stay fit and healthy during the holidays
Never Summer Fitness LLC
Grand County, Colorado
Fourth in a six-part series
Last week was the third installment in this six-part series featuring 60 ways to stay fit and healthy during the holiday season. This week, we continue the series with the next 10 ways to stay on track.
1) Egg nog contains 160-290 kcal (250 ml) without the alcohol. Add a shot of alcohol and that is approximately an additional 60 calories (i.e. 210-350kcal). Try enjoying half a serving this year.
2) Give leftovers from holiday meals to the homeless and others in need. They need the calories for survival and it will make you feel good in the process.
3) Concentrate on what you can do rather than what you cannot do regarding exercise during the holidays. If you simply cannot find the time for your regular exercise program, then always take the time for a short brisk walk for 20-30 minutes, perform pushups, abdominal/core exercises, squats, lunges and tricep dips. Performing two-three sets of 8-12 repetitions of each of these exercises will take approximately 15-30 minutes and at the very least, you will maintain some muscular strength and conditioning.
4) If you are thinking about making major changes in your life, such as quitting a smoking habit, do it now. Waiting until the first of the year is often not a successful strategy, so set yourself up for present and future success.
5) Encourage others to take the plunge and begin an exercise program with you. There is substantial evidence that working out with a friend or spouse/significant other helps you to adhere to the program.
6) Rather than food and wine, purchase fitness equipment as gifts for friends and relatives ” such as resistive tubing, dumbbells, exercise balls of all shapes and sizes, foam rollers, and balance equipment. This type of fitness equipment is reasonably priced, easy to ship, store and use. Try Perform Better or Power Systems online or Healthstyles Exercise Equipment with six locations in the Denver area.
7) Purchase workout gear as gifts for friends and relatives. Check out their sizes first, but there are excellent fabrics available now that wick away the moisture from the body, hold the heat in when needed, and allow for ventilation when necessary. Athletic shoes are probably best tried on prior to purchase, but if someone you love knows exactly what shoes they want, that is another wonderful gift.
8) Even if you can afford to hire someone to decorate your home this year, try doing it yourself. You will burn additional calories particularly if you are putting up lights on the exterior of your home.
9) Attend holiday music festivals and productions that may help to keep your spirits high throughout the season.
10) Build a snowman with your children. You will burn calories, have fun and give them one of the most valuable gifts of all ” your time.
Next week, look for 10 more ways to stay healthy and fit during the holiday season.
” Jackie Wright can be reached at her e-mail address: NSFGL@comcast.net or her blog at skyhidailynews.com
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.
Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.
If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
For the third time USA Today readers named Winter Park Resort the best in North America, beating out 19 other nominated North American resorts for the coveted title.