Stolen vehicles and foot pursuit cap busy day in Winter Park |

Stolen vehicles and foot pursuit cap busy day in Winter Park

A stolen ATV, a stolen pickup and a foot pursuit that ended with one suspect sent for medical attention in Denver were just the highlights of a Monday morning incident in Winter Park.

On Monday morning at about 9:34 a.m. a member of the East Grand Fire Dept. reported someone had stolen a snowmobile trailer from the Department’s parking lot and was driving away with the trailer attached to an ATV. The Fraser/Winter Park Police Dept. (F/WPPD) and the Grand County Sheriff’s Office (GCSO) responded to the scene and upon arrival discovered the ATV and stolen trailer stuck in the snow and abandoned and the suspect fleeing the area on foot.

Officer Sean Curran of the F/WPPD confronted the suspect. According to a press release issued by the F/WPPD when the suspect was confronted by Officer Curran the suspect claimed he had a firearm and threatened to shoot Officer Curran. The press release goes on to state, “the suspect was subsequently taken into custody by Officer Curran and an east Grand Firefighter after a short foot pursuit when he entered a Fire Department vehicle that was at the scene.”

After being taken into custody the suspect was “incoherent, combative and appeared to be under the influence of an unknown substance,” according to the release. He was treated by Grand County EMS and was transported to Middle Park Medical Center and later to a medical facility in the Denver area.

An on scene witness identified the ATV used to steal the trailer from the East Grand Fire Dept. as belonging to Grand Adventures located at Beaver Village. Grand Adventures verified the ATV was owned by the company. Employees from Grand Adventures also pointed out an empty Ford F-350 pickup truck found on the property Monday morning.

Sergeant Mike Reed of the GCSO examined the pickup and discovered the ignition had been punched. It was later determined the truck had been stolen out of Lakewood, Colo.

According to the release the suspect is not being identified at this time because he was not taken into official police custody. Chief Glen Trainor of the Fraser/Winter Park PD explained that after the suspect was apprehended and removed from the Fire Department vehicle it was determined he needed medical attention. The suspect will not be formally arrested until after he is medically cleared.

No charges have been filed at this time and the case will be presented to the 14th Judicial District Attorney’s Office for determination of charges.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.

Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.

If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User