Suspect in officer-involved shooting in Tabernash ID’d |

Suspect in officer-involved shooting in Tabernash ID’d

District Attorney Brett Barkey confers with members of the 14th Judicial District Critical Incident Team and other law enforcement officials outside the scene of a shooting involving Grand County Sheriff Brett Schroetlin in Tabernash on Tuesday morning. The team is investigating the shooting with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation and several other police agencies.
HankShell / |

TABERNASH — The man shot by officers responding to a report of a burglary at Snooty Coyote Liquors early Tuesday morning, Sept. 15, has been identified as 20-year-old Connor James MacLaird, according to a press release from Moffat County Sheriff KC Hume, who is handling public information for the incident.

The press release says Grand County Sheriff Brett Schroetlin was on scene because he and the K-9 police dog he handles had been requested to help locate the suspect.

“Sheriff Schroetlin discharged his handgun at MacLaird when MacLaird refused to drop a knife he was brandishing at the officers while he advanced toward their location,” the release says.

MacLaird, who was airlifted to St. Anthony Hospital in Lakewood, is expected to survive, the release says. It adds that MacLaird has lived in Grand County since December 2014.

MacLaird had not been arrested and had not been charged with a crime as of Tuesday afternoon, according to the release.

Earlier information released by authorities indicated Schoetlin was accompanied by three sheriff’s deputies and a Fraser-Winter Park Police officer.

The 14 Judicial District Attorney’s Office, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the Colorado State Patrol, the Granby Police Department and the Fraser-Winter Park Police Department are all involved in the investigation.

None of the officers was harmed.

Schroetlin placed himself and the three deputies on paid administrative leave pending the investigation. Undersherriff Wayne Schaffer is acting sheriff during the investigation.

A man who says he was in Tabernash early Tuesday morning reported that at about 1 a.m. he was awakened by a flashlight shining in his window. He wrote in an email to the Sky-Hi News titled “Shooting at Fireside in Tabernash” that he got dressed and stepped outside but was told by one of the several officers present to get back inside, which he did.

He wrote that he continued to watch out his window and saw officers approach an apartment at the other end of the hall with their weapons drawn. He then heard glass breaking and officers yelling, “Show me your hands!” several times, followed by what he described as four quick gunshots.

He wrote that the incident occurred in Unit 2.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.

Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.

If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User