Two men arrested for brutal beating of New Castle woman |

Two men arrested for brutal beating of New Castle woman

John Gardner
Glenwood Springs Post Independent

NEW CASTLE, Colorado – A New Castle woman is recovering at a Grand Junction hospital after police say she was bound and severely beaten for four hours before she was placed in a car, driven to Rifle and left in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit from New Castle Police, the 33-year-old victim sustained injuries to her entire body including “severe injuries to her face with deep lacerations and bruising so extreme that she could not open her eyes.” The report stated that the victim also had ligature marks around both wrists and both ankles from being bound with an extension cord, rope, and some “unknown” metal object. She also had bruises on her body, was also missing four teeth and was bleeding from a deep laceration on her forehead, when police interviewed her at Grand River Hospital and Medical Center in Rifle.

New Castle Police, with the help of Garfield County Sheriff’s deputies, arrested two New Castle men suspected in connection with the assault.

Police arrested Aaron Steven Rabidue, 21, and Arion Gross, 18, after the victim told police that she was speaking with the two outside of Rabidue’s New Castle apartment just before Rabidue invited her inside. She told police that once she was inside the apartment, she was thrown to the ground, kicked and hit repeatedly. The two then, allegedly, tied her hands and ankles and dragged her into the bathroom and threw her into the bathtub, where they continued hitting her in the face with closed fists, according to the police report.

The victim told police that she was then stuffed into a large plastic storage container, her hands and ankles still tied, and was continually beaten. The report stated that Rabidue then produced a knife and told the victim that they were going to kill her.

The report stated that the victim said she was speaking with the two suspects outside of Rabidue’s apartment around 6 p.m. on Oct. 4, and was repeatedly beaten until around 10 p.m. the same evening, at which point she was placed into an “’80s model station wagon” and left at the Wal-Mart parking lot in Rifle.

She then walked across the street to Grand River Hospital where she received medical attention. Hospital administration contacted police, and the hospital was placed on lockdown due to the serious nature of the offense, according to police reports.

The victim was transported to St. Mary’s in Grand Junction, after a doctor signed a Serious Bodily Injury form, where the victim had to undergo reconstructive surgery for some of her injuries, according to police reports.

After police interviewed the victim at Grand River Hospital, they went to Rabidue’s apartment where they found Rabidue at home with his girlfriend. Officers placed Rabidue under arrest and searched the apartment. The report stated that they discovered more than 20 mature marijuana plants in the living room. The police report also stated that the officer saw a large amount of dried blood in the bathtub.

The report claims that Rabidue has an extensive criminal record including harassment, domestic violence, burglary, trespassing, distribution of marijuana, and menacing.

New Castle Police stated that Rabidue, who is a registered medical marijuana patient, reported to police in September that someone had stolen some marijuana plants from his apartment. However, the police report stated that Rabidue didn’t want to file an official report.

The beating victim told police that the two blamed her for the theft of the marijuana plants.

Rabidue was also arrested by New Castle Police in September for burglary. He was out on bond for that charge when he was arrested for his alleged connection with this incident.

The Sheriff’s Office contacted the New Castle Police on Oct. 5 and reported that Rabidue was allegedly involved in a separate incident, with two other males, of intimidating a female with a firearm.

New Castle Police stated in the report that, “We believe the underlying reason for his entering homes, threats and intimidation toward others, was to discover who had stolen his marijuana plants.”

Rabidue and Gross face possible charges of felony assault, felony menacing, felony kidnapping and false imprisonment. Rabidue is also charged with violation of a bail bond condition.

According to Garfield County court officials, Gross was released Wednesday before his advisement hearing on a $10,000 bond. According to the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office, Rabidue remains in the Garfield County Jail on a $50,000 bond.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.

Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.

If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


Market Street project stalled as developer reevaluates

Citing delayed building permit extensions and a scrapped economic incentive agreement, the developer of the Market Street project on US Highway 40 in Fraser said it’s unclear when he will be able to finish the…

See more