Superintendent offers updates on Granby Elementary’s elections, district enrollment, more
Great happenings at East Grand School District the week of Sept. 6.
• East Grand Middle School had its first Cub Ears Assembly of the year this week. The purpose of the assembly was to learn the class cheers, go over behavior expectations at assemblies, and encourage school spirit.
• GES is starting student council elections. Here are important dates:
Sept. 4 — Send home notes about running for student council
Sept. 11 – Students inform of their interest in running returned by end of day
Sept. 12 — Ballots go out
Sept. 16 or 17 — Vote in class
Sept. 19 — Notify students that ran of results with a note that goes home
Sept. 24 — Our first student council meeting
• Staff member Kristen Bailey will be doing a 100-mile race in Idaho on Sept. 15 Wish her luck and let her know what a great inspiration this is to our kids and adults alike.
• The MPHS boys soccer team won their home opener versus Lake County 5–1 last Saturday. They also won at Sheridan on Wednesday night 4–2. They are off to a great start, come out and cheer them on.
• Grand Crew has started off the year in the wild. Students are searching for mathematical patterns in nature, using conversations and communication on the trail to achieve proficiency in English, and practicing physics by understanding vectors in rock climbing. They are learning to see the world from a new angle by achieving new heights. Thanks to the YMCA for granting us access so that we could summit Snow Mountain. Students also learned some local and natural history with a close-up view of the fire lookout tower on Shadow Mountain. Crew members also took on the challenging 10-mile hike as part of a demanding intro to our year of experiential learning.
• On Thursday, Fraser Valley hosted its annual Back to School Night and Community Health and Wellness Fair. It was very well attended and it is always great to see the community support we have for our children and families in East Grand. A big thanks to all who presented, had booths and attended.
• The completely student run video announcements at MPHS will begin airing — if everything goes to plan — starting next Monday and will be daily. The goal is to make them as professional as possible, and to make them useful to everyone. We are not going to have goofy, non-informative segments everyday, but will try to do one ‘fun’ segment a week (Thursdays). These videos can be accessed on youtube.
• Enrollment at East Grand Schools is again up. Our schools and communities continue to grow. We will not have an official count until October but it appears we will show an increase of 15-30 students.
• We have over 60% of our high school students participating in a sport this fall. Below is a list of upcoming home events. Please come out and show support for our great students:
Sept. 10 — High school volleyball vs. Platte Valley at 4 p.m.
Sept. 11 — High school soccer vs. DSST and high school volleyball vs. West Grand, both at 4 p.m.
Sept. 13 — High school soccer vs. Grand Valley at 10:30 a.m.
Sept. 14 — Middle Park hosts both middle school and high school cross country at the YMCA beginning at 9 a.m. and soccer will host Nederland at 11 a.m.
Frank Reeves is the superintendent of East Grand School District.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.
Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.
If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Great Happenings this week in East Grand Schools.