Ventilation causes CO sickness at hockey tourney | SkyHiNews.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Ventilation causes CO sickness at hockey tourney

GUNNISON, Colo. (AP) – Firefighters say an ice cleaning machine was the source of the carbon monoxide that sickened 54 people at a youth hockey tournament in western Colorado.

Gunnison fire marshal Dennis Spritzer said Monday that the indoor ice rink’s ventilation system failed, causing it to recirculate the polluted air rather than pull in outside air on Sunday.

Firefighters are trying to determine why the system’s damper failed to open and have contacted the company that made it.

Eight of the people who were sickened were hospitalized in serious condition. It wasn’t immediately known how they were doing Monday.

Spritzer said the city-owned rink didn’t have carbon monoxide detectors but the devices will be installed before it reopens.

Support Local Journalism

He said there haven’t been any previous problems at the rink, which opened three years ago.


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grand County make the Sky-Hi News' work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User