Victim in Lake Granby fire positively identified |

Victim in Lake Granby fire positively identified

Will Bublitz
Sky-Hi Daily News

The identity of the victim in last week’s explosion and fire on the shore of Lady Granby has been released.

According to the Grand County Coroner’s Office, the victim is 26-year-old Eric Tweeton. He was an employee of the Inn at SilverCreek where he was a maintenance man.

The coroner’s office said an autopsy was performed during the weekend. Tweeton’s identity was confirmed by fingerprints.

The cause of Tweeton’s death is listed as “head and internal injuries due to blunt force trauma from an explosion.”

Tweeton’s family in Minnesota has been notified of his death. He reportedly worked at the Inn at SilverCreek for more than three years.

A memorial service for Tweeton will be held at the Inn at SilverCreek today at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.

The cause of last Wednesday night’s explosion and fire at the Table Mountain Trailer Court on U.S. Highway 34 is still undetermined. The Colorado Bureau of Investigation and the Grand County Sheriff’s Office are conducting the investigation.

Tweeton’s body was not discovered by searchers until early Thursday afternoon at the trailer court where he resided. According to last week’s Grand County Sheriff’s Office press release, the reason why it took so long to find the victim’s body was that it had been “blown 120 feet by the blast, landing behind an unoccupied residence and out of sight of firefighters and investigators.”

The explosion and fire occurred at the Table Mountain Trailer Court just before 8 p.m. Wednesday. The Grand County Dispatch Center in Hot Sulphur Springs received an initial 9-1-1 call at 8:03 p.m.

The Grand County Sheriff’s Office said the explosion and resulting fire began in one of the mobile homes. It then quickly spread to three nearby mobile homes, which were eventually destroyed in the blaze.

Firefighters from three Grand County fire departments responded to the scene and battled the fire. Also arriving to assist were units of the Grand County EMS and Sheriff’s deputies.

Due to the intensity of the fire and possibility of more explosions, Sheriff’s deputies stopped all traffic on U.S. Highway 34 in the vicinity of the blaze for about three hours.

No other casualties were reported in Wednesday night’s incident.