YMCA of the Rockies hosts Healthy Kids Week
From April 18-25, YMCA of the Rockies is holding a series of activities and events at both its locations to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active. YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y’s national initiative to improve health and well-being for kids and families, takes place on April 25.
YMCA of the Rockies has expanded that initiative into an entire week that features activities such as Zumba classes, themed night walks, hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park, archery and more to motivate and teach families how to develop a healthy routine at home.
Guests, families, children and adults alike who participate in Healthy Kids Week at either YMCA of the Rockies locations will have the chance to win a two-night stay at either property of their choosing. Participants will receive an informational card about Healthy Kids Week upon check-in, as well as a booklet of stickers that will allow them to keep track of all the activities they partake in. This informational card will encourage posting to the YMCA of the Rockies’ social media pages as an entry to win the two-night vacation.
Rocky Mountain National Park, which borders YMCA of the Rockies’ Estes Park Center, will be celebrating Fee Free Days on April 18 and 19 and Healthy Kids Week participants and their families are encouraged to explore the National Park during this special weekend.
For more information on Healthy Kids Week at YMCA of the Rockies, visit http://www.ymcarockies.org.
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
• Try, try, repeat – There are many great tasting fruits and vegetables that many kids have never heard of, let alone tried. Grab a new fruit or vegetable and encourage everyone in the family to try at least a bite.
• Play around town – Challenge the family to play on a different playground every week. Identify playgrounds at a variety of parks; expand definitions of playgrounds to include nature trails, a nearby stream, and a bike path.
• Families at play for an hour a day – From walking to gardening, or swimming to shooting hoops, make playful movement a part of your family’s day. To get 60 minutes of moderate activity throughout your day just add 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there.
• Foster a passion for reading – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
• Make sleep a priority – Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12 and 7-8 hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning, and other vital functions.
The YMCA of the Rockies’ Healthy Kids Week takes place at both Estes Park, Colorado at the Estes Park Center location and near Granby at the Snow Mountain Ranch location from April 18-April 25.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.