Fear not, Grand County, Pluggers is back to stay
In my years in newspapers, I’ve been called everything from a “dirtbag” to a “bimbo” to names that are far too derogatory for this newspaper.
But never have I read a comment from a reader that sounded so disillusioned as the letter writer who called me a liar this week for telling him I would run “Pluggers” and then going back on my word.
For the record, I did tell him that I would run “Pluggers,” a cartoon that ran regularly in the newspaper before I arrived and apparently has quite a few Grand County fans.
In fact, I went so far as to call the Tribune Media Service in Chicago and subscribe to the cartoon ” five days a week for $8.50. I had such a long and boisterous conversation with the representative on the other end of the phone ” she was pretty hilarious ” that I’m sure I could call her right now and she would remember me.
I even have a Post-It note on my desk that reads “Pluggers,” along with a password to the cartoon site, written in blue Sharpie on the day of that conversation.
After that day, I think I ran the “Pluggers” cartoon once. Then I moved on.
But, it seems, others did not. And this abandoning of “Pluggers” was taken as something of a betrayal.
Things I must admit:
– I’m not quite sure exactly what makes you a Plugger.
– But I am probably not a Plugger ” unless forgetting to run the cartoon for months makes you one.
– Before I moved to Grand County, I had never heard of a Plugger.
– People in Vail, probably do not consider themselves to be Pluggers. I say that by way of admitting that our cartoon page is shared with the Vail Daily. Pick up the Vail paper and you’ll see the same crossword puzzle, the same comics, the same horoscopes. We took this route because our staff is so small and sharing a comics page allows us to spend more time on the news part of the newspaper.
– But I am an editor of my word. So, I promise all disillusioned “Pluggers” fans that I will start running the cartoon ” when space is available ” on page 7.
– Even if I am not a Plugger, I can respect the Plugger point of view and would love to have it in the paper. See below:
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.
Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.
If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Great happenings this week in East Grand Schools.