Jackie Wright: Rest and Relaxation Day
Grand Lake, CO Colorado
Every year we offer a complimentary “Rest and Relaxation Day” class for our clientele to enjoy. We warm-up rhythmically, perform myofascial release with foam rollers followed by a visualization journey concentrating on rest, stress reduction and relaxation.
We then complete the hour with a thorough pure stretch for every major muscle group of the body. Everyone loves it, and while it is wonderful to indulge in a day such as this at your health club or fitness studio, you may also create your own rest/relaxation morning, afternoon or evening at home. This week, the preparation and beach visualization segments are featured while next week the pure stretch will be highlighted. As always, prior to beginning any exercise program, please consult your physician.
Rest and Relaxation Sequence (beach visual)
• Create a quiet, comfortable and calm environment in which to enjoy your journey.
• Once you have created your relaxed environment, perform a mellow heat building, rhythmic warm-up for approximately five minutes. Large range of motion movements, which include sweeping motions of the arms, easy squats as you inhale/exhale, combined with side lunges, arm reaches and rhythmic spinal roll ups. The key is to keep the heat building rather than holding any position statically. The static stretches come later.
• Perform myofascial release for every major muscle group of the body with a foam roller for approximately 10 minutes. Concentrate on your breathing as you roll permitting pressure just to a point of tolerance, not pain.
• Then, lie supine on the floor, take in several slow, deep breaths through the nose, expanding the diaphragm and inflating the lungs, exhaling out of the mouth with pursed lips as though you are blowing through a straw.
• Let all tension in the muscles release as you breathe, melting into the floor, this is your time; release any expectations from the outside world.
• As you experience this beach journey, breathe rhythmically and repeat this mantra: peace-joy-breathe-rest-relax.
• With your eyes closed, begin to visualize a crystal, clear day with deep blue skies.
• You are walking down a warm, white sandy beach and looking out upon the beautiful turquoise water.
• Complete solitude, no one but you.
• Sunshine is warming your body.
• Feel the gentle surf under your feet.
• There is one chair up ahead and you walk to the chair, sliding into it slowly.
• It is low to the ground, along the water’s edge.
• Sink your feet and legs into the sand, feeling the warmth.
• The water is lapping gently against your feet and legs, and you begin to feel the rhythm of the water, the gentle breeze, your deep rhythmic breath, your heart beat and the universe.
• Getting in touch with what’s most important to you as you experience this connection with the spirit, soul and the earth.
• You feel at one with the world.
• You have released all negative stressors and let go of any pain in your life.
• Embrace life’s changes; hold onto what’s dear to you while growing and moving forward.
• Carry this vision and all of the positive energy with you from today and beyond.
• Slowly, begin to open your eyes, feeling relaxed and rested and prepared for the wonderful pure stretch that lies ahead.
– Jackie Wright is the owner/manager of Never Summer Fitness LLC located in Grand Lake, Colorado. She may be reached at her website at http://www.neversummerfitness.com, her email at NSFGL@comcast.net, her blog at http://www.skyhidailynews.com and her Facebook page at Never Summer Fitness.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.