Wright – Give the Gift of Fitness
Grand Lake, CO Colorado
If you really want to give a gift this holiday season that could potentially change someone’s life for the better and show how much you care about them, consider giving the gift of fitness.
There are few gifts that demonstrate how much we care about the health and well being of those we love than providing them with the opportunity to experience fitness for the first time in their lives or to continue on their current fitness journey by giving them a gift that could last a lifetime.
Here are 10 great fitness gifts that you may give, even on a tight budget, and still have the desired impact on your loved one. As always, prior to beginning any exercise program please consult your physician (and encourage the recipient of your gift to do the same!).
• Give the gift of encouragement and motivation by dropping inspirational notes and emails to your loved one every time they complete their workout sessions-the cost-nothing except your time.
• Assemble a fitness basket and include resistive tubing and accompanying instructional DVDs, anchor strap for the tubing, and a complimentary card to your favorite fitness class or program. Wrap it up inside of a gym bag and you have a perfect fitness gift for under $100.
• Give a health club or fitness studio membership. You can choose from the variety of types of memberships available to fit within your giving budget.
• Purchase a gift certificate for a personal training session or a series of training sessions.
• Give them a heart rate monitor or FitBit. These are fantastic gifts. One of the best ways to monitor your intensity, caloric expenditure, volume of training, etc. is with a good quality heart rate monitor. Many have options which connect into your computer enabling you to track your progress on-line. However, you can purchase a simple heart rate monitor for under $50 without the bells and whistles. The FitBit is also a cool monitoring tool which provides excellent feedback via your computer. I have one and love it.
• If you have a little more in the giving budget, consider purchasing a 12-week winter training program for your loved one and one for yourself too, so you can attend together. We know that exercise adherence is positively affected when you exercise with a friend or loved one.
• Give a BOSU Balance Trainer, TRX Suspension System, Revolution Pro, step platform or kettlebells/stability balls/dumbbells etc. and set up an in-home gym for them. Keep it a secret and then surprise them on your special holiday morning.
• If you have an abundance in the gift-giving bank, consider a spa vacation which includes an exercise/wellness program. Even a weekend of working out, relaxing, meditating and eating healthy, wonderfully prepared cuisine, can help to start 2012 out with a bang.
• Purchase a gift certificate for an indoor or outdoor bike, or cycling gear if they already have one.
• If your loved one enjoys outdoor sports/activities, but has not participated in ages, purchase a session with a professional instructor or coach. They will love you for it!
Have a healthy and fit Thanksgiving!
Jackie Wright is the owner/manager of Never Summer Fitness, LLC located in Grand Lake, Colorado. She may be reached at her website at http://www.neversummerfitness.com, email at NSFGL@comcast.net, her blog at http://www.skyhidailynews and her Facebook page at Never Summer Fitness.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grand County make the Sky-Hi News' work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User